In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Did some more canning

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by swags, Nov 13, 2013.

1. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

upload_2019-3-2_9-59-23.png

Lunch today.

For anyone interested:

Catch any large white fish (some I use are pike, bass, walleye, whitefish, herring, sucker)
    The fillets are cut into 1" chunks with no worry about bones as they dissolve and add nutrients.
    2 tbsp white vinegar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp Heinz Catsup
    1/2 tsp canning salt

Pressure can at 10lbs for 110 minutes

Great on crackers, fish/noodle hot dish, and for fish salad sandwiches (or in anything else in place of canned tuna)

Nick&Lissa and unclefess like this.
  2. Marshel54

Marshel54

Please share your Garlic Dill pickle recipe. My mom lives with us now and just asked other day if I make dill pickles
    I have attempted many times but have never had any success with preserving the "Snap".
    I just discovered this thread. My normal canning consists of Spaghetti sauce, Tomato juice, Salsa, Bread and Butter pickles, Sauerkraut Stuffed Peppers and jams.
    We use to raise beef . I would can beef or if one of us got a deer that year a lot of that would be turned into canned Venison.
    I have done corn, but prefer it frozen.
    Our store has super sale on Asparagus late winter. I just bought 10 lbs. @ $.99/lbs this year. I blanched and froze it. The past 2 years I canned it. Would like to know what went wrong. After the allotted cooking time in the pressure canner and cool down, the jars were way low on liquid.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  3. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Were the cans submerged in water in the pressure canner or were the tops exposed to the open air on the inside?

4. Marshel54

Marshel54

Tops were exposed to the air or above water level. Maybe an inch or less of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker.

stuckinthemuck likes this.
  5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Hmmm.. I’ve never canned with a pressure canner before. Looks like this site has some possible causes of liquid loss...

Loss of Liquid in Home Canning - Home Canning Problems Explained: Loss of Water or Syrup Solution in the Jars During Canning

Pressure canning only:
    • Fluctuating pressure in the pressure canner.
    • Cooling too quickly. Let pressure return to zero gradually, avoiding the sudden release of pressure through the vent. Do not hasten the cooling with cold water. (If the canner cools too quickly while the contents of the jar remain at a much higher temperature, the liquid will boil over. The contents of the jar and the canner have to cool down gradually from 240°F to 212°F. The "coming down" period should be gradual and even.)
    • Pressure canner not sufficiently exhausted.
    • Opening the petcock or removing the weight before the pressure has returned to zero. (When the pressure has returned to zero, open the petcock very cautiously and if steam escapes, close and wait a few minutes. This avoids cooling the atmosphere around the jars too fast which causes liquid to boil over.)
    • Letting the canner stand too long after pressure returned to zero. It should be opened within a couple of minutes after it returned to zero pressure.
    • Removing the jars too quickly after removing the cover. Let the jars remain in the canner a few minutes after removing the cover, or until the boiling in the jars is less vigorous.
    • Having an inaccurate dial pressure gauge that does not return to zero. (The petcock in this case could be opened too soon or not soon enough.)
    • Leakage of steam from pressure canner.

6. Marshel54

Marshel54

Thanks for the link. I have book marked the link.
    A few of their suggestion could be the cause. If I can Asparagus in the future I will pay close attention to the link. I have canned Asparagus at least 2 times, maybe 3 or 4 times, before. Results were the same each time. I don't remember that problem with any other pressure canning that I have done.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    stuckinthemuck likes this.
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

recipes vary, but there are a few things I do to preserve as much "snap" as possible:

1. Use only smallish cukes.....NEVER cut or quarter them
    2. I use alibi cukes from Park Seed (grow them on 5' chicken wire....easy harvesting)
    3. Always pick your cukes young....from a couple inches to maybe 4"....anything bigger and you dont get many pickles in a jar
    4. I include a wild grape leaf in each jar....Im told it helps with snap
    5. I also cut the blossom end back just a bit...Im told there are enzymes in there that soften your product
    6. I don't hot can....I boil the rings and lids, and put the jars in the oven for an hour at 300 degrees (let cool first!)
    7. My proportions are 1 cup CANNING salt, 1 quart white vinegar, 3 quarts water........boiling hot when it gets into the jars
    8. wash cukes, but dont scrub them, you crazy nut
    9. lots of garlic
    10. fresh dill, points if you use a dill head in each can!

Marshel54 and farmer steve like this.