In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Desperately ISO Harman p68 or st Croix Auburn

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Ms M, Nov 12, 2022.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Looks like there are some nice used Harmans for sale in Ohio...not sure where OP is in MD, but I drove to Frederick MD in 5 hours...we are about an hour south of Cleveland (Lake Erie, for those not familiar with OH)

SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I am not up on Maryland code, but most places don't allow the hole to be cut between floors. There is one member who has commented to me about fall through and tripping possibilities. Yes there has been some offline discussion about your situation, now imacman put his CPM trough a closed door one ton burn talk to him about cleaning his name is Pete my name is David please tell us about your setup.

slvrblkk and imacman like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

True...against fire code...but as I understand it a through-the-floor register with fusible link will fix that situation. I can't find it right now, but I know I seen a place that had a nice selection of options for those...I think it was down south somewhere...Georgia maybe?

4. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Bingo!..."typically" this will suffice.....but not always :D

5. MtDew

MtDew

Not mine but saw this today on FB in Delaware.

6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.

NOPE I WON'T

imacman, slvrblkk and corncob like this.
  7. PelletHound

PelletHound

Good looking stove.

slvrblkk likes this.
  8. In the Pines

In the Pines

You are correct. You need to put a fire register in there with a "fuse" that melts down at a specified temp that than closes the damper to prevent flames from shooting into the next floor.
    I have a site bookmarked at home that sells these I'm not sure if this is what I have bookmarked at home but it's one company that sells them.
    I'll be installing one, on the house I'm remodeling to help with air circulation.

imacman likes this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Careful
    slvrblkk
    is right it can be overridden down to a minor local level pay attention to code where you are. Don't question stricter code.

Code iis only a minimum requirement and by itself is frequently overruled by the installation instruction provided by the stove maker.

imacman and slvrblkk like this.
  11. corncob

corncob

Medina County???

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Close...Wayne

corncob likes this.
  13. corncob

corncob

Cuyahoga and Lorain for me when I lived there years ago. Lakewood and Columbia Station to be exact.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Sorry Busy with house reno lately! But I will pass on my 2 cents worth! :D

That should be taken with a little salt. Corn as a rule has a higher moisture content than wood pellets. IMHO pellets(good pellets like softwoods actually burn hotter. It would take corn having a moisture content of less than 8% to even get close to the high BTU softwoods and some of the better hardwood pellets. Example:

Most pellet stoves only rate their stoves to a 50/50 mix because of the ignitor. Most pellet stove lack a really good hot ignitor to light 100% corn. Where corn stoves(mostly manual lite) or multifuel stoves(pressure ignitors like a blow torch) can light 100% corn without an issue.

I have found that burning a 50/50 mix of corn(when I can find it) and pellets is a best of both worlds. Pellets help reduce the clinkers associated with corn and allow a multifuel stove with a mixer to churn the mess into the burnpot. Where a pellet stove you are the mixer(agitator-pot stirrer). You will need to open the door and scrap the pot of said clinkers.

Again just my 2 cents worth on corn/pellet myths. Mainly it all depends on price and availability. For me its pellets as I don't have many farms close enough to make corn viable. So pellets are our source of fuel due to availability. But if corn is an easier option for you and its cheapier? Don't be afraid to mix in some wood pellets to help the burn quality of the corn. 50% mix is also very general. You might be able to get by with 60% corn to 40% pellets. Something you can tinker with until you like the end results!

:cheers:

badbob, Softwood, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  15. corncob

corncob

Not replying to the op at all but in my case, the corn I burn is between 7 and 9% as a rule plus it's very clean. You cannot just burn field corn without cleaning it or your burn pot will soon fill with not only unburned kernel husks but all the earwings that come along with uncleaned corn.

The other issue with burning uncleaned field corn is the non burning trash in it.

I would never consider roasting tanked co-op field corn which is usually right around 15%. Just too wet to burn correctly and both of my units are manual light anyway so I start them on a handfull of soaked in charcoal lighter pellets first. Never been a fan of igniters. though my garage unit has the blanking plug for one as well as the burn pot recess and the board has the terminal lugs for one. Not my thing at all. Hand full of fire starter soaked pellets and a match, close the door, push on and good to go. I can combust any percentage up to straight corn if I want to.

16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Depends upon the seller. I've only found 12% locally and it still has red eye's in them so I have to screen/clean it as well. This seller is where I have found it and markets it as fuel for corn stoves. Carefull site is not secure!!

LionRock Farm

imacman likes this.
  17. corncob

corncob

Seed corn has to be basically moisture free or it will germinate in the bag and of course it's very clean. When a grower is paying upwards of 250 bucks a bag, he only wants seed corn. Kind of surprised you can find 12% locally. Most times elevators will take corn at 15% or dock you if it's over that and charge you to dry it down to 15. Way back before I got the seed corn gig, I cleaned mine as well. Don't have to any more.

DDG and my security program won't allow me to view not secure sites. People tease me about having the most expensive corn burner around at 250+ a sack. because it won't germ at 95% it's not marketable, so it's basically worthless. and has to be disposed of, usually in a landfill (or in my stoves).

It's COLD here and getting colder. 30 and dropping like a rock. Brrrrr...

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

They dry it to 12%. Last I knew they were getting $9 a 50 pound sack. But likely higher now?

corncob and imacman like this.
  19. corncob

corncob

Pretty steep compared to my free....lol Doing the seed house a favor and saving them the landfill fee and the haulage as well.

Still on straight pellets, not quite cold enough to switch yet. Still just about freezing, it's balmy.

20. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot