In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dead Elm

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Nov 30, 2014.

  1. bert the turtle

    bert the turtle

    Joined:
    May 30, 2014
    Messages:
    790
    Likes Received:
    4,224
    I have quite a few elms down that I'm slowly adding to the stockpile. I hand split a couple moderate sized rounds with great difficulty then got two cheap Indian import wedges stuck in a round. I am not going to risk sticking my Gransfors wedge to get those two out.

    The rest of it is getting cut into 6 inch cookies and put in wire cages on pallets like stone gets shipped. I like to split wood by hand. I don't mind a challenge. I'm not trying to show off, but I split about 1/4 cord of sweet gum by hand last time my wife really pizzed me off. So I'm at least half way decent at swinging a splitting implement. But NFW I'm splitting elm by hand again. It just isn't worth it.
     
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Loon likes this.