There is a fairly large dead chestnut oak on the property with a fair amount of lean to it. Barely any branches left, just a few larger ones; which I hope give way and not hang up in a nearby tree. I would like to drop it for the wood. My question is that do I have to worry about barber chairing on this tree? If so, how do I minimise that risk?
From what I know, if the trunk is thick enough, aftervthevface cut, use a plunge cut to establish the hinge, then the back cut. Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
A bore cut will also tell you if it is hollow. You can smack the tree with an ax or sledge hammer to see if it is hollow as well. A bore, or plunge cut will probably tell you better then beating it with a hammer.
The idea of doing a bore cut makes me nervous because you have to cut with the tip of the bar; and that is where you get kick-back.
Yes, there is that big forked oak; forget what kind now, up on the ridge that fell from the neighbour side to my side. I started cutting up the limbs on that back in the spring and then got side tracked. Now that the Beast is here, I can return to the larger stuff. I will need to clear the upper road into the woods so I can get the tractor back there to haul it out.
Practice the bore/plunge cut on a round you have around.. just make sure it's strapped down tight. A few plunges and you'll get the hang of it