I picked up a chain saw job from a regular customer. I do some on the side and maybe 5-10% of my wood comes from this. He wanted me to fell these two small ashes on the edge of his property. Both dead from EAB. I went Tuesday afternoon to start and was prepping the less dead tree escape route (it was in a mass tangle of vines, prickers, limbs) and noticed the vines on it had grown into the neighboring trees. I was able to free one vine from the next tree, but one limb had grown into the other tree and the vine wouldve stopped the tree from falling which was the opposite way. (Nothing worse than a leaner that would be impossible to free.) Ill need the ladder so it decided to fell the deader tree. Cleared around that one and planned to fell it into the thicket so id have no mess to clean up out of the yard as the dead uns make a mess when they land. Cut the notch, made back cut, pounded in wedge, kerf opens up but tree wont go. Vine from little cherry next to it holding it back. Ending up cutting that and over they go. (this was the tree with Termite be insects in this dead ash...yup i was right!) Bucked and removed it. I went yesterday, put the ladder up and cut the problematic limb on the second tree. It teeter tottered then the wind eventually leaned it into the neighbors yard. I tugged but there was no freeing it from the vines. Felled tree in the right spot although i overcut the hinge. It was very windy and i could only move a few feet when tree fell. A few widow makers fell, but i was clear. A safety helmet is in my near future. Lesson: so if you're feelling a tree in a tangle be sure the vines are cut free! Ironic thing was the statue is 20' from where the tree fell! Hence the title! Maybe a half cord between the two trees. load from Tuesday notice lower right limb with vines that i had to amputate one of the widowmakers Load from yesterday.
Looks like a mess there but it is good you got them. Amazing that you got that many pictures into one post. Usually the forum will stop me at 8 but I've seen some others posting more than 8. Maybe I don't hold my mouth right when I work....
Backwoods Savage ive gotten the hang of posting photos as its done with a digital camera and not a smart phone. Im one of the guilty ones in your thread Posting pictures
Hahaha! An Angel praying for it's very life when buZZsaw BRAD has a chainsaw in his hands, that's a classic right there.Just funnin ya Brad, nice work on the trees! Vines are an absolute bi#%&h.
Most of the vines are Bittersweet I believe, But the one tree on the ground with hairy roots is Poison Ivy, be carefull. I always cut any vines before felling so they don't hold the tree from falling.
oh! that stuff is horrible! i had a nice little tree come down at mom's. it was as hard as rock, dry and no bark. i gave up on it because it was so tangled in bittersweet. the vines were twist like braids!
NH mountain man Im usually careful around it as i only get a mild rash. Had short sleeves on that day and noticed a rash on my left arm this morning. I did remove and loosen what vines i could but sometimes it just isnt possible, especially up high. Brought the ladder in the second day to cut off the branch that was badly entangled. It is still up in the neighboring tree.
that they were TurboDiesel! The deader tree was very hard. Havent cut dead wood that big in a while. Dulled chain rather quick