In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Creosote buildup in Central Boiler; help!

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Deer Meadow Farm, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Update: I visited my dealer. Warranty-wise, I'm SOL. The only way CB will honor it is if I ship the boiler back to them for repairs; really? The parts guy was sympathetic though and he copied the directions to the repair kit they sell (at a ridiculous price) so at least I can see what I'm up against.
    Basically they want you to use an angle grinder to cut away the warped air chamber plates and replace them with their "kit". I worked on it for a little bit this weekend until I had enough. It's a dirty, crappy job. The air chambers are so packed with hardened creosote I am using a masonry chisel to chop it out! Also, I don't know if it's the metal or the creosote but I ate up three 4" discs just getting these out and they were the easy ones!
    016.JPG
    This is about as far as I got... :(

In this picture you can see the shiny spot; that is the back wall of the air chamber after chiseling the creosote away:
    017.JPG

Warped plates removed:
    018.JPG

My mask when I finished. Did I mention that this job sucks?
    019.JPG

Thor, blacksmith and yooperdave like this.
  2. chris

chris

Cut off discs do not last long. Too bad it would not be wise to use a plasma torch with all that black stuff. I see articles like this and it just keeps me flip flopping back and forth between traditional stove(s) or owb.

blacksmith likes this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Wow. All I can say is sorry and that this job is way more trouble than it is worth. Stupid service and company...

4. DonE

DonE

I have a traditional OWB. Not a gaser, but I do get some creo build up in the fire box and quite a bit on the inside of the fire box door... after shut down in the spring I clean out all the wood ash left from the last burn and then loosely fill the fire box with cardboard boxes ..... I light it up and leave the door cracked open (fan off) .... the creo all falls off into the bottom of the firebox (yes flames shoot out the door and chimney like a flame thrower for a few minutes).... what doesn't burn scoops right out with the ash from the cardboard.... there is occasionally a small amount left on the interior of the door, but it scrapes off with the shovel easily.
    I am sure this procedure is not an approved method, but it works for me...... not sure if it would work as well in a gasser

5. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Not approved? It works!! :yes: