In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Couple new visitors to the bird feeder

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Smokinpiney, May 4, 2016.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Had two pairs of rose breasted grosbeaks show up today. Haven't seen them here before. Sorry for the grainy pic, it was through glass and a screen.

    20160504_163501.jpg 1462400610170-885652398.jpg 20160504_163757.jpg
     
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Those are one of my favorites.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  3. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    About 6-7 years ago there was a 2 year stretch that I was seeing them at my feeder and they disappeared . Never saw them before or after that again. I actually had to look up what they were and my mom who was an avid bird watcher was stumped also.
    I had another thread a few months ago about the lack of birds at my feeder . That changed 3 weeks ago. I have more birds now than I ever had . I've never had finches and I'm polluted with them now.????????
     
    wildwest, savemoney, will711 and 2 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    The grosbeaks usually come back right around May 1 or the first week of May. They came about a week early this year.

    Today I was in back cutting some wood and when I took a break I could hear them singing all over in the woods. Lovely song they have.
     
  5. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,274
    Likes Received:
    66,602
    Location:
    IN
    Had one here today....didn't know what it was until I looked it up.
     
  6. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Cool. I've seen them at my parents in CT, but never here.

    You get any humming birds yet? I put my feeder up yesterday.

    We did discover this morning that we have a cardinal nest in the shrub next to our front door. It seems like they are sitting on eggs already. Often there is a robin nest there, this year its cardinals.
     
  7. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    None here yet , but I think it's still too cold here , prolly in a few more weeks we usually have 3 - 4 that hang out all summer .
     
  8. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I've never seen one in my entire life. We used to get the Evening Grosbeaks, but I haven't seen those in decades.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    You've been missing one beautiful bird and a beautiful song he sings. The females aren't so pretty but that is normal in the bird world.
     
    Smokinpiney, wildwest and savemoney like this.
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    The birds are so much enjoyment to have around. The finches are really thick this year. Lots of the yellow ones. They are getting so used to us now. We can sit three feet away from the feeders and enjoy the show.
     
  11. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Dennis, today we had rose bested gross beaks also. Now isn't that an coincidence.
    Getting harder to keep the bird feeders filled. We have 4 of them going. 3 with sunflower seeds and one thistle seed. I've tried the songbird mix but they kick most of it to the ground.
     
    wildwest and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Larry, prepare! Those grosbeaks really eat a lot! Happy to see the hummer back. They aren't all back yet but soon will be.
     
    Smokinpiney, wildwest and savemoney like this.
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Sun is out. Lots of visitors to the bird feeders. Love to watch the red cardinals.
     
    Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  14. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,645
    Likes Received:
    144,587
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I had some at my previous home, I think they were either Evening or Rufus Sided, they had the prettiest song, I loved hearing them!
     
    Horkn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,645
    Likes Received:
    144,587
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    x2!
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Must be a grosbeak migration around here. Just had a couple blue grosbeaks at the feeder but they didn't stick around long enough for a picture. Never seen them before either. They looked just like this.

    Screenshot_2016-05-13-18-50-08.png
     
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Backwoods Savage likes this.