In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Couldn't climb

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Star Gazer, Apr 6, 2016.

  1. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,574
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Great idea about the stump pots. Would you have to drill a hole in the side for drainage?
     
  2. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Real nice job getting those puppies on the ground Star Gazer :thumbs: :saw: :tree:
     
    Horkn and Star Gazer like this.
  3. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    I'm sure I have several guardian angels watching over me since one wouldn't be enough. (oh chit, there she goes again!) :hair::wacky:They're probably changed out every 6 months or so for a long rest after!:loco: :crazy: Even the devil shudders when I'm awake! o_O :bug::faint:
     
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    milleo, savemoney, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  4. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    I would think so. Maybe a few half inch (or 3/4" or 1") holes angled down where they exit just above the ground to make them less visible would work. Then treat the stump like you would any other flower pot.
     
    Horkn and Woodwidow like this.
  5. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    I am De Tree Assassin! Once my sites are set, they end up resting in pieces! (before I stuff them in the 13-NC after 3 years)

    This will bring me up to a minimum of 6 years ahead, but probably 8 or more years. :D
     
    milleo, HDRock, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,575
    Location:
    US
    As the common saying goes, "You go Girl!"
    :rofl: :lol:
     
  7. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,574
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Along the road leaving town, separated by a ditch and power lines, the local Rotary club built a walking trail. Along it someone planted small groups of daffodils. There is an old rotten stump beside the trail and every spring, a cluster of daffodils pops up from the center of it and blooms. I think it looks so neat.
     
    milleo, Horkn, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  8. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    See, even someone else or mother nature liked the idea of using a stump as a flower pot.

    I did start on mine today. Rather than try to carve out a circle, I went with a square for the time being. I may widen it, maybe widen at the top but keep the bottom at the same dimensions they are now, or maybe just take a router and clean up the inside edges. So far the cube was made using a chainsaw and even the drainage as you will soon see. All 5 cuts were bored!The front depth is about 8 inches, and the back is about 7 inches.


    Stump #1
    IMG_4090.JPG
    Stump #2 (the tree I just felled)
    IMG_4092.JPG
    If you look further down towards the base, you'll see a slit (bore cut) that I made to release the cube. That is also for drainage. I tilted the saw about 15 to 20 degrees so the bottom of the pot is angled towards the front giving them plenty of drainage. Just add a layer of gravel, maybe a small piece of landscape fabric, add some potting soil and the plants you desire.
    IMG_4095.JPG
    Being that there is a pair of them, I tried to make the squares at the same angle on each stump.
    IMG_4096.JPG
     
    milleo, Elvisss222, fox9988 and 6 others like this.
  9. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,574
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Looks great. Can't wait to see the plants in it.
     
    Elvisss222, Star Gazer, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Cool idea, gooder job ya did there :)
     
    Star Gazer, Eric VW and Horkn like this.
  11. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    They look even better now that I have cleaned up the inside edges with the router. Plus now both openings are the same size, about 9 inches square.
    IMG_4104.JPG

    IMG_4105.JPG
    To clean out the wood chips and sawdust from the drainage opening, I used a paint stir stick.

    I expect to be putting flowers of some sort in the stumps Sunday or Monday since the overnight temperatures appear to be moving out of the upper 30's. I'm not quite sure yet, but they need to be something the deer won't eat. And of course, pictures or it didn't happen! :D
     
  12. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,574
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Not tulips or roses. The deer have been leaving my lavender alone. You probably know better than me what the deer will leave alone.
     
  13. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,690
    Location:
    Vermont
    I don't have photo I was laughing to hard... as 2 deer were munching on my wife rose bushes in a raised rose garden. the deer were thinking hey these nice people raised them up for us.. my mother in law trying to shoo the deer away with a broom my MIL, only 5 foot and deer were just looking at her .. you could read their minds... what..

    When I could stand I just let Lady out she pushed them 100 feet back into woods.. MIL was making boiled dinner Lady got treats that night.

    Oh I don't worry about Shepard chasing or running deer.. if she sees the out back she does not care but she doesn't like other animals around the mowed section of the yard. birds squirrel nothing the mowed section is hers
     
  14. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    If those two deer were munching on my roses, they would end up in my or someones freezer. (depending on if I had the room in mine) If they're lined up right, one shot for two kills.
     
    milleo and Eric VW like this.
  15. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,690
    Location:
    Vermont
    out of season here.. plus the wife would not be appreciative of that choice... especially when I hung them up on bucket of tractor and cleaned them then used that as coy dog bait for shoot in party... Which never ever happens when she goes too Canada to see her grandmother..:whistle:
     
    milleo, Eric VW and Star Gazer like this.
  16. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    I think I may have accidentally found a solution to the deer pest problem. I have several skunk that are coming around during the night, and since they have been the deer are staying away. The skunk are helping aerate my lawn, they eat mice and moles, seek out and eat bee hives of any kind and around here they are the subterranean yellow jackets. So what's not to like. Well, maybe their smell if they feel threatened or startled, but other than that, I think they're cute. They also leave scat around the yard which isn't that big of a deal since I don't run around barefoot anyway. But the plus is they usually only come around at night. Even more interesting is the number of cats that come around seem to have dropped off significantly. I have seen the cats marking their territory or whatever they do it for, and one tends to use my gardens as a toilet. The only one that comes around consistently is my neighbors black cat. So the limited number of cats is also appreciated. The coy as well as domestic dogs are skirting my property as well. Last year I had 17 of them coming through and of course leaving p-mail and an occasional land mine.

    I would love to get a dog that would stay within the confines of my property and chase away the deer especially. (add groundhogs, rabbit, and squirrels) But I would also want it to be my companion which would also mean spending time with me in the house at night. Deer love to do midnight raids. If I could keep the deer away I could plant a wider variety of flowers and certainly more roses.

    Don't get me wrong, I love seeing all of the animals, but when they damage my property the love is gone!
     
  17. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,574
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    If you have a cat door, skunks will use it.
     
    milleo, Star Gazer and campinspecter like this.
  18. Star Gazer

    Star Gazer

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    1,057
    Likes Received:
    4,358
    Location:
    Right behind you
    It's a good thing they can't use people doors! That could almost be scary! :eek:

    I don't have any dog or cat doors so I think I'm safe. I do see the skunk come onto my deck and porch on occasion though. :bug: