In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Could be an angle grinder in my future

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Enzed Bill, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I use them for sanding, wire wheeling, grinding, masonry and a few other things. Truthfully it’s one of the most used tools I have.

4” angle grinders are a major help with everything.

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I don't like the small trees cause they don't have as dense heartwood yet and they seem to burn way after than big hunks. I cut a lot of that small stuff one year and seems like I burned a lot of it for less heat.

Eric VW likes this.
  3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Some Great machines . Each of which can be built with the help of an angle grinder.
    That chunker is super! That's the kind of thing a Lot of tree services would be well served with that machine instead of a brush chipper.

brenndatomu likes this.
  4. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I was thinking the same thing CFT!

The power company recently cleared under the powerlines here, and what they do now is; cut the trees just under the lines by bucket truck, then take a mulching excavator and shred the stems that remains, and the tops they cut earlier. I know what they shred would have kept my house heated for a year or two, and of course, the saplings that are around the edges of my fields, and what the loggers have left behind in the woods.

I figured it out, not factoring in the less density that clemsonfor mentioned, equaled about 525 saplings to heat my home per year. In a 100% mechanical situation, that really is not all that bad!

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Oh here are some updated photos of the Feller-Buncher. Definitely making some serious progress with the design, and is far more productive than I anticipated! :)

The first one is in the upright position, as if it was felling a tree, and then of course the second is of it laying that tree down into a pile, or onto a trailer.

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0012.JPG

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

So I guess how you are working it, is you grab the tree pivot the saw into it and then away and hen lift up the tree?

7. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yeah that is how I do it. It gets a little goofy because if they are tall, I have to saw them off as high as I can first. That allows me to cut the tree into two so that I can have shorter lengths on my log trailer.

I could put a clam bunk onto my trailer and drag them tree length, but then it goes back to not having an extra hydraulic circuit to run the clam bunk. But something like this would save having to cut the trees twice: once at 10 feet high or so, then at the stump.

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Last season on the first episode of moonshiners they showed josh with his finger cut off. He had a cutting disk explode and cut one of his fingers off and almost all of a second one.

9. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

Thanks to all for the replies. Since this has been very educational, let's recap in a classroom setting, just for fun ...

"Now children, I'm sure we're all very grateful to the gentlemen who have come to class today to tell us about angle grinders. Who can tell us something we learned today about them ... Timmy?"
    "You can use 'flappy disks' with them."
    "Oh, tee-hee, I think they are called 'floppy' disks. The latest thing in computers, I believe. Yes, Andrew?"
    "Naw, that's old stuff ... USB ports are where it's at now."
    "Oh ... all right, then. I suppose it follows that you should buy a grinder with a USB port. Anything else?"
    "You shouldn't let the sparks get away."
    "That's right, Helen. Have a metal bucket at your feet and direct the sparks to it. When it's full you can use them instead of matches to get a fire going. Yes, Catherine?"
    "They are very, very dangerous, Miss."
    "Yes, and ... children! please don't stare at our guests' eye patches and hooks; it's not polite. On the question of dangerous tools, remember last week when we learned about chainsaws."
    "Wouldn't it be cool if someone made an angle grinder disk with a chainsaw chain on it?"
    "Now, Jeremy, you're just being silly. That would be far too lethal to ever be allowed. What else did we learn about angle grinders?"
    "You can use a cup with them."
    (blushing slightly) "Yes indeed. You boys who play cricket probably already have a 'cup' - be sure to wear it along with your other safety gear. And, yes, you at the back, I'm sorry - I don't know your name."
    "Leroy, biatch"
    "Uh ... Are you sure you're in the right class?"
    "I's in Oakland Elementary, ain't I?"
    "No dear, this is Auckland."
    "Dang! I knowed sumthin' was wrong on the plane. I jes knowed it! Don't take no 13 hours to get from L.A. to San Fran. Mofos done put me on the wrong plane!"
    "All right dear, we'll sort that out after class. Any more questions, children?"
    "Miss, why do they call them 'angle' grinders?"
    "Well, uh ... you see ... um, the 'Angles' were a Germanic tribe that settled in the British Isles and the name England derives from that. Perhaps they had a kind of cudgel with a sharp edge that could inflict horrific injuries and so the tool was named after that. All right now, let's all say thank you to our guests and wish them all a speedy recovery."

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I think this would be a great application for a power saw that I. Really did not like to run !
    How do you advance the throttle ??

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

This just begs for a you tube vid !
    My hats off to you!! Very impressive !

clemsonfor likes this.
  12. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I fabricated a lever that bolts to the saw frame, but when an attached cable is pulled, swings into the throttle and takes the saw from idle to full throttle. That has a spring attached to it that keeps it pulled back (unhooked in the photo which has a black arrow pointing to it). I still have to route the cable, however that is difficult because of all the movement of the boom, swinging, and pivoting of the feller-buncher head itself. That is a lot of movement to account for.

I also have to put a long spring on my hydraulic hoses to keep them pulled back and out of the way.

Throttle.jpg

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

14. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

yooperdave and clemsonfor like this.
  15. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Ohhh , nice and shiny !! Nice ! I like the switch and lock on it .