In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Could be an angle grinder in my future

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Enzed Bill, Mar 3, 2018.

1. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

The chainsaw is not mounted on it in this half-built photo, but I am not sure I like the design. The chainsaw would be quite vulnerable to damage in this way. I might eventually switch over to a hotsaw set-up which would eliminate that, but mean a lot more expense too. I want to see how much I use this first.

I'll see if I can get a better picture of it today for you though.

2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I was thinking uou might have fabbed up a hydraulic motor or something and mounted a sprocket to it and had another cylinder to move the setup into the tree to sever it.

I probably am one of the few other people on this site that knows what I am looking at and things it's cool. There is the other guy from I think NY that logs...big wood ...I can't remember his name. I am not a logger, but am a forester, a timber harvest forester to be specific so I am around logging more than anything else. Well that stupid computer and piles of scale tickets and checks would be the other stuff, ha.

Cold Trigger Finger and Eric VW like this.
  3. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yeah I remember you were a forester and have a lot of respect for you and that profession. I have found there are several types, and it is not like forestry is an exact science, meaning what one person likes, another may not. I have a lot of property taxes to pay so every acre has to be making me money, whereas for preservationists, a trust fund or well paying job can suffice so let it grow. Around here there is two extremes; let it grow and do nothing , or cut the living crap out of it. Me, I am a dying breed; a farmer that logs his own land. I have (4) foresters that I work with, and all are production oriented. One maybe a little too much, he likes "open space".

4. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I had a friend that had no generator, so now having a big one, I gave mine to him (and his dear wife), BUT I kind of wished I had it still. If I did I would just put the generator into the bucket of my tractor, buy some #10 SO cord, and then run it from generator, over the tractor, put a switch in at the controls of the logging trailer, then route it to an electric motor on my feller-buncher head. I can get 16 inch diameter saw blades at Home Depot, so I would mount their blade up to the electric motor and thus be able to cut an 8 inch tree via hotsaw. It is an easy enough build, just pricey now buying the cord, generator, electric motor and saw blade. I might still do that, but it depends how much I use this thing. Until I have the firewood chunker, I probably won't use it much. It really is a 2 machine process. One is worthless without teh other.

A chunker would be tough to feed by hand, so it needs a feller-buncher, and to chop up tiny saplings with a chainsaw would be a time suck as well. The two really go hand in hand.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey! I've watched swamp loggers...I know what you're talking about too! ;) :rofl: :lol: :D

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:picard:
    I’m one of the few other people on this site that willingly calls out your auto ClemCorrect and stuffff and things it’s funny.... just trying to help you get more better on that smaht phone of yours bud!:handshake:

:wacky:
    :rofl: :lol:

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

[​IMG] upload_2018-3-9_17-52-1.jpeg

clemsonfor and Eric VW like this.
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The Pelliter's off American loggers was a good show too.

Swamp loggers is a very specialized thing. There very few shovel crews around Bobby Goodson is one of the only ones in that area. In coastal Georgia and lower SC there is only a handful of shovel crews along the whole coast. Contrast that to the small town across the state line from me in Georgia, there is like 14 conventional crews in that town, this is a town of just a few thousand .

brenndatomu likes this.
  9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I keep deleting those words and my phone keeps relearning them as real words cause I mispell the same things all the time from fat fingering it!:doh::whistle::picard:

Eric VW and brenndatomu like this.
  10. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

My phone now auto-corrects about to aboit......

yooperdave, Eric VW and brenndatomu like this.
  11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

As long as it don’t change it to “aboot” yer fine...:rofl: :lol:

yooperdave and brenndatomu like this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

...or "bonnet"....

brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

You must be a golfer... cause I couldn’t have teed that up any prettier for you.:thumbs::rofl: :lol:
    :wacky:

brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sorry it took me 6 minutes, brother....I'll try harder. Age thing, no?

clemsonfor, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

No, you did gooder, ya :BrianK:....:rofl: :lol:
    :handshake:

16. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

When Katie and I went on our hot date last week, it was up to Millinocket where the Pellitier's are from. That show brought in some much needed money into the area. They have their own restraunt up there, but we went to a different one just because it has a better view of Mount Katadin.

They are big loggers though, and move around 5000 cord a week. Sadly, years ago it came from the North and moved south to the paper mills, now it moves in the other direction, most of their wood going to Canada.

I liked Swamp Loggers too, and watched a show on TBN regarding the star's life. The man and his wife have really come a long ways, from alcohol and drugs, to finding God and really changing his life around. They depicted some of that, and it was not just for show (literally), they lived for family and God.

I also like Ice Road Truckers, and one thing about my logging road is, it winds its way up a 9% slope (about as steep a haul road as recommended), with a T-intersection at the bottom. Going up the trucks are empty, but coming down they are full, and covered with snow and ice its a daunting drive. I just slap my truck drivers on the back, tell them to "watch another episode of Ice Road Trucker's and keep it between the ditches". In 2 years, only once has one slipped off the road! Had he done so 50 feet up, or 50 feet down and he would have flipped the truck over due to the depth of the ditches.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea the showed them opening that restaurant on the show. I'm surprised that it is still open.

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea they move a ton. Those who don't have any concept of size or amount a logger moves that is a chit ton of wood! They haul those trailers that weigh 100 tons are 12 ft wide and tall as heck. They will haul doubles too. A normal logger around here will move around 500 a week. A huge crew will move around 1000. My big companies will have around 10 crews and probably come close to that amount, but we're probably 2 to 3x closer to the mill than they are.

I liked IRT as well. Most when they were in Alaska. They had a lot of fakeNess that it turned into. I also liked IRT deadliest roads. That was real and crazy.

Both those shows I beleive I know American loggers came as spin offs of the pilot/special show called "extreme loggers" that covered ice logging as they called it, swamp logging and one or two more.

19. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I always thought, and I might be wrong, that Axe Men on History Channel was the start of it all, then other networks taking on the idea. I was on Forestry Forum when Discovery Channel put out a statement asking for loggers willing to do a spot on the show. They took them up on it, and at $70,000 and episode, I don't blame them. Their website says they move 200,000 cords of wood per year.

You were right about the restaurant, it is up for sale.

I thought the name of that "extreme loggers" was called Ice Loggers, or was that another show?

There is a guy on here (FHC) that I think is related to Linkletter Logging of Athen's Maine, and while not as big as the Pellitiers, they move a lot of wood too. They do a really good job, all mechanical, and will work on huge tracts of land, or for the small landowner. I have a family friend who had his woodlot cut off by them, Tree Farm and all that, and they did a really good job.

20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

You know I think the show I'm talking about was called extreme loggers, but it had episodes called swam and ice loggers. That was a long time ago and I don't remember that well.

Ax men was the start of it. And cool at first. I watched every season and every show as well including Shelby Stanga's spin off show (I'm a self proclaimed reality TV whore). But after a few seasons Axmen turned into nothing bit a soap opera for men and the fake drama and stunts really got unbelievable.

I am a member of forestry forum, was really into the site 12 years or so ago but don't visit much anymore. I pop in a few times a year and see stuff and then leave.