In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Could be an angle grinder in my future

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Enzed Bill, Mar 3, 2018.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Oh, for the record, they're 4 1/2" angle grinders:yes:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

That’s when you rig up an attachment to the shopvac that puts suckage right at the exit of the material from the wheel.....:yes:
    Thought you would’ve bobdogged that by now, bro?!:yes: :D

3. dingbat

dingbat

Oh, and smaller arbor is ok for attachments that thread on, but I prefer a larger arbor for anything that is secured by the flange.

Screwloose and Eric VW like this.
  4. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I'll call you to hold the magic wand next time.....

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Made a rig that worked on my electric plane, adapted it to the oscillating saw when cutting drywall into more manageable pieces to remove from basement ceiling.... lot less mess to deal with:yes:l

6. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Do you get the wire wheel with a nut? Buy Wire Wheel Brushes - Free Shipping over $50 | Zoro.com I change between that style and the cup style. Also the knotted/ twisted ones are worth the extra money.

7. Enzed Bill

Enzed Bill

I'm interested in hearing some more "case studies" before I sum up: i.e. domestic projects that you've used your angle grinder on.

Screwloose and Eric VW like this.
  8. dingbat

dingbat

Screwloose and 94BULLITT like this.
  9. ironpony

ironpony

they come in 4 & 4.5 inch........I have both but when you remove the safety guards it does not matter anymore.

10. ironpony

ironpony

the only time mine come out are metal working projects

Screwloose likes this.
  11. Midwinter

Midwinter

Ahhh, I can't keep up until we get another snowstorm!

12. bocefus78

bocefus78

I use mine for various metal cutting projects, grinding those cut pieces to smooth them up, sharpen mower blades, taking the rust off my plow and salt spreaders to prep for new paint annually, took rust off my trailer with a wire wheel on it prepping for paint, grinding out bad welds for rewelding, cutting rebar for concrete projects, and much more.

13. mikeward

mikeward

My son in law got a dewalt cordless combo set of 18v tools.
    He not real handy but has gotten much better doing things around house.
    He wanted to trim an inch or so off of the bottom of a 3' wood gate made from wood fencing.
    I was not there when this happened but got a phone call from my daughter.

Looking at his tool set he decided that reciprocating saw and circular saw would not be good for cutting bottom of gate. Mainly because he wanted to skip the step of removing gate from post to cut.
    He decided to take the blade guard off the grinder, remove disc and put a different cutting tool on his grinder.
    He decided the blade from circular saw would be perfect for the job and he got it to fit tightly on the grinder. He was very careful to get the teeth fitted on the correct way so they would cut wood.

At this point I'm sure all of you know what happened!
    He did manage to cut an inch or so before the blade grabbed and the grinder was ripped out of his hands. Thankfully it flew away from him, right into the side of the house.
    No one hurt. But boy was he scared.
    And he still had to trim the gate.
    Just because something fits on grinder, doesn't mean that it should be used!
    The gate was finally finished correctly. Removed, trimmed and re installed.
    There was however a reminder left on gate bottom. A curving upward cut and mark where the blade ran away from him.

14. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

He is lucky that saw blade did explode and hurt him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Screwloose likes this.
  15. chris

chris

I use a 4.5 grinder with a saw blade ( 4" carbide tipped) a lot , fastest way I have of getting branches off skinny poles to feed into chipper. There are saws blades made for these units with the proper arbor sizes - guard/shield stays on when using these. Also have a 7" and a 9" version. They get used with snaging wheels and such- ton of torque when you first fire up those snagging cups.

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Well then summer will leave you bereft of time, eh?

Screwloose and Midwinter like this.
  17. Midwinter

Midwinter

The supply of memes will fall off a cliff come summer, I guarantee.

huskihl, Screwloose and Eric VW like this.
  18. RCBS

RCBS

Larger disks allow for longer "reach" and longer working time between changing wheels. 7-9" grinders are for removing a LOT of material. 4-1/2-5" should be sufficient for most home projects. Pick your favorite flavor....Red, Yellow, Green. I'm undecided on the cordless units. So far I still prefer a plug in. The portability of the cordless is nice, but if I'm grinding or cutting it's usually in a shop environment anyways.

There are different grinding wheels depending upon application. Some are for ferrous, some for stainless, some for aluminum. I like a cupped knot wheel for wire chores. Flapper discs are awesome for mower blade sharpening. Find some good slicer wheels, they are the most handy thing on a grinder for me. .040-.045 thickness, zirconia preferred.

Be cautious if you remove the guard. I have seen tendons on the back of hands cut before.

If I were buying one tomorrow, it would be one of these two:
    DEWALT 120-Volt 4-1/2 in. Corded Small Angle Grinder-DWE402 - The Home Depot

Milwaukee 11 Amp 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder-6146-30 - The Home Depot

Metabo used to be the end all be all of grinders. I have lost a bit of confidence since they were bought out by Hitachi. If it says "Made in Germany", it's a good one. They typically command a premium over the other brands.

19. ironpony

ironpony

mine still have the guards on them, do not like getting hurt however the other day a sanding disc came apart and sliced my finger, 6 stitches, only second time I have had stitches luckily.

20. JotulYokel

JotulYokel

I have a Milwaukee 4-1/2" angle grinder. I've used it very hard for over a year--cutting lots of steel and also using it to sand paint off of old steel casement windows, grind down welds, etc. I also used it, along with a diamond blade, to cut a hole in my flue tile for the stovepipe. These are VERY versatile tools. After I bought mine I wondered why I had waited so long to get one.

And I NEVER remove the guard.