In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cost per square foot

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by thewoodlands, Jan 11, 2018.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

The size I had built was 24 X 38 with 9' height inside. I hope to add a lean to along the entire length (38') of one side also....maybe this summer? It will be at least 8' wide...maybe I can squeeze a another foot or so out of it. It's along a driveway, so....

At any rate, adding the lean to after building the garage, increased the cost (so I was told) and that cost of the lean to, from the same builder, turned out to be almost 1/2 the cost of the garage! That's why I didn't have it built last year.

Regarding the floor drain, I thought they were against code also, but no. I don't plan on using it but its nice that its there.

Horkn, papadave, milleo and 2 others like this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We just came in the door when the phone rang, it was the contractor needing more info and he's also waiting on a few of his supplier's to get him prices.

We should have an estimate before the middle of next week but that's my guess.

Horkn, bogieb, milleo and 2 others like this.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We did get our first bid which we thought was high so we'll be getting two or three more bids before we decide on anything.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

I went through quite a lot of bids. Then added to them what I wanted to do to the inside myself for a more realistic cost of the completed project.

Horkn, bogieb, papadave and 1 other person like this.
  5. papadave

papadave

Got a bid for an addition from the guy who did our siding/windows. We should be able to do it ourselves for less than 1/2.
    Fun project.

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We did do that with us doing the inside of the garage, insulation and plywood on the walls and ceiling. We also want to do the siding on the garage, that should save some. Any of the digging that the contractor will let me do would be fine with us too.

We both would like the 28 x 36 size garage which should give us plenty of room but the cost is the big issue so if we go with a smaller garage that will be fine.

Our second quote over the phone from a different contractor was much better so we sent him some info via email so he has a better idea what we want.

We should hear from a third contractor this week, once we decide what size garage we can go with then some trees start coming down. Most of the trees are White Pine with one Ash and some smaller Cherry.

We'll save any of the White Pine that are big enough for milling, having the pallet forks will make getting the Pines off the ground for milling much easier.

Horkn, M2theB, Well Seasoned and 4 others like this.
  7. papadave

papadave

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Same thing here. Had to remove a bunch of trees. Even took down one aspen (buddy did, not me) that showed signs of rot up high. It wasn't on the building site, but was too close that when it would have fallen, would have "altered" the garage!
    Better safe than sorry and the rounds went into the OWB.

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

After getting an estimate per square foot (over the phone) from a company from our area we sent them some info but haven't heard back yet so I'll call them Monday.

Well Seasoned, yooperdave and bogieb like this.
  10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We received a call from one of the contractors this afternoon, he's waiting on a few more prices from suppliers and that he might want to meet this weekend so I told him that was fine.

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We met with the contractor today from up here (liked his price) so once we get a few more things straightened out it looks like we'll go with the original size of 28 x 36 garage.

Hopefully we can give him the go ahead by the end of this coming week, once we confirm it's a go the trees start coming down.

bogieb, Horkn, Well Seasoned and 4 others like this.
  12. M2theB

M2theB

That's a great size. I wouldn't budge from that.
    We built a 26x30, attached, that has served us well. We've got a 12 pitch roof that lets me have room above and the 30' let me put the stairs up to it and a bench under the stair case. And I have no issues with bumping my arze into a vehicle while at the bench.

13. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice Woody! Lots of pics during the process will be great!

14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Will do Well Seasoned , it will all start with the felling of the trees which are mostly Pine. We'll use whatever Pine we can for milling and the rest for shoulder season wood in a couple of years.

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Once we get some info to the code enforcement officer and he says ok, we'll get the permit.

We had given him some measurements over the phone (how far from the lines the garage will be) and he doesn't see a problem but we still need some info from our contractor which we might have this Sunday.

I'll get a picture tomorrow of the area we'll be felling the pine where that garage will go, the worst part will be all the limbing but it will be nice once the tractor is inside.

16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The contractor dropped off the info we needed for the code enforcement officer so we'll get that to him by Tuesday, hopefully he has enough info that we can get the building permit.

Enough snow & ice has melted in the area the garage will go that we can start clearing trees this week, we would like to start this Tuesday.

17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Good luck with all that. I hope everything goes through first time.

yooperdave and thewoodlands like this.
  18. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Using rough sawn lumber, an already poured concrete slab (known as a heavy use area in USDA speak), I built a 30 x 48 barn for $3 a square foot ($4450). The biggest cost was using new steel roofing, but being a sheep barn, will admit that it was well ventilated as it has to be.

Last week in my sheep farming class, where in order to make any money pennies must be pinched to make any money; we discussed a lot of options to reduce the cost of building sheep barns. Earthcrete, Underground Barns, Rough Lumber, 4 ft on center framing, etc all reduce the cost of building.

I m not sure it is possible to do that here today, only because my town adopted National Building Standards, but I am not sure if it applies to agricultural buildings.

DSCN3706.JPG

milleo and bogieb like this.
  19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It should Well Seasoned , I talked to him on the phone about how far from the lines we are but they need everything on paper which he should have by Tuesday the latest.

Well Seasoned and yooperdave like this.