In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cornbread recipes

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by spotted owl, Jan 31, 2019.

1. spotted owl

spotted owl

Tried a search and came up empty other than recipes that include a box mix. So I thought I’d ask and share.

Does anyone have any good cornbread recipes? It’s cold, windy and wet, seems perfect timing for some cornbread.

This is the go to here, the kids can smell it in the air or have Spidey sense or something cause they all come over and show up when I make this.

1 - cup churned butter
    1 - cup sugar
    1 - pint creamed corn
    3/4 - cup cheese cubed very small, we grate the cheese
    1 - cup flour
    1 - cup white corn meal, we like yellow for the consistency, white seems to pasty and dense when finished
    4 - tsp baking powder
    1/2 - tsp salt

Melt butter, then everything into the mixer until it’s smooth but a little grainy looking from the corn meal.

1/4 stick butter in the cast iron pan as it preheats. Run melted butter around pan and up the sides. Batter has to just sizzle when it hits the pan. Pour into pan around edges first to keep middle from sticking.

Into the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes, until browned, pulling from the edges and not jiggly at all.

My Great Grandma’s recipe. If she didn’t have creamed corn she’d put some sourdough starter in it for the liquid. That one you have to play with to get right, doesn’t take much, but it’s worth it.

Anyone have a recipe they care to share?

Owl

2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

That recipe sounds good, I usually just use the one on the cornmeal container.

3. justdraftn

justdraftn

....sorry, but real cornbread does not have sugar in it....
    at least real southern cornbread.

1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    1 teaspooon salt
    1 tbl spoon bakng power
    1/2 tea spoon baking soda
    mix the dry ingredients well
    beat 1 whole egg into
    1/2 cup milk
    mix this w/1 cup buttermilk
    gently fold this into dry mix
    preheat oven to 450F
    1/4 cup butter (I use olive oil) in cast iron skillet to preheat
    fold heated oil into mixture
    pour into hot skillet
    Bake for 25-30 min.
    I'm good w/corn, cheese add ins....also chopped jalapenos.

My favorite treat as a kid was left over, dried up corn bread...
    dipped in ketchup w/chocolate milk.

4. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I have really enjoyed the Medium Course Ground cornmeal instead of the Fine Ground

5. Nick&Lissa

Nick&Lissa

Thanks for sharing! Definitely gonna make this for Nick, he Loves some sweet cornbread!
    ~Lissa

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

We’ve never made homemade, but those recipes sound great! Trader Joe’s has a good mix that we enjoy.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  7. bciprince

bciprince

My folks used to make 'Mexican cornbread'. They just mixed in corn kernels and jalapenos and put some kind of cheese on top, probably the kind with peppers in it.
    Nowadays everybody in my house likes them with some brown or raw sugar sprinkled on top before the muffins go in the oven. Melts and gives a good sweet crusty thing on top.
    I've also tried making it with whey instead of milk. Tastes ok but nothing special. I just had whey left over from the wife's yogurt making.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Welcome to FHC bciprince :handshake: .... That spin off of a Cornbread recipe sounds good...

9. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Welcome bciprince. Think you'll like it here. We like pics, beer, pets and food.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

My man!
    I will eat any of it, but if it has sugar in it that I can taste...preferably none at all...please don’t call it corn bread.

Corn bread...butter...jams/jellies...even gravy...milk and/or buttermilk in a glass...will eat white...prefer yellow meal about one step away from cattle fodder...just like I like my grits. Nothin’ better than soppin’ pork shoulder drippin’s and eggs...’cept maybe homemade butter and grandma’s strawberry jam on a slice... or simply bread and milk...a glass and a spoon. Corn bread done right is always has a southern grandma’s touch.

FatBoy85 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  11. Hoytman

Hoytman

No offense to anyone... I’m up for trying all these recipes. I seen a cornbread thread and just had to click on it. Corn...and bread...anyway you fix it it’s got to be good.

FatBoy85 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.