In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday
  1. Softwood

Softwood

Just curious if anyone is using or has used these? Years ago when they came out lots of people around here were trying them. Haven't heard much about anyone burning corn anymore. For awhile I heard of a few using half corn/half pellets in theirs.

jtakeman, imacman, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.
  2. CleanFire

CleanFire

Greetings Softwood,

This thread may be helpful:

pellets vs corn

In this area (New Hampshire / North East), unless you have access to locally grown & harvested corn, most are running a wood pellet stove.

The small Francesca stove here allows us to adjust combustion fan speed electronically by settings (you need lots o' air for corn), I did try a test of 50/50 pellet / corn mix when we first started burning. Heat output was great: but the burn pot was clogged up so bad by clinkers by the end of the run, that was the only test / time I tried it. The burn pot (or plate) also matters when burning corn: from my experience.

Hope the feedback is helpful to you.

imacman, ivanhoe and Softwood like this.
  3. corncob

corncob

Both mine are corn capable, but I run a 1/3-2/3 mix of corn and pellets to mitigate klinkers. I can and have ran straight corn in the past but I prefer a mix. My corn is basically free so it's not a big deal. Been doing that for 20 years now. Problem with corn is the nitric acid vapor it makes. Corn is corrosive so I run straight pellets before I shut down in the spring and I spray the inside of the firebox with Stabil fogging oil when shutting down and I take my venting apart in the spring and wash it inside with my pressure washer.

Luneyburg likes this.