In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cord to Pellet conversion

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Marshel54, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Marshel54

Marshel54

How close can I stack pellets to the stove? What are the clearances on a pellet stove?
    Kind of figuring that one of the grandkids could tote the pellets in from the work shop. If I had a stack of pellets and get to where I couldn't handle 40lbs I could always scoop them in the stove with a grain scoop.
    I will be back with more question on which stove after I do some research and if I survive when I tell the wife I am looking at a new stove.:) About lost my home when I bought the AS.

ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

It depends on the stove and you would need to consult the install manual for the ones you are considering. Here is the info from a manual I downloaded for the P-series Harmans 7/20/18. That the smaller clearances are for a stove with separate side shields. I have side shields on my P43, but don't need them for my P61a in the basement. And, it isn't clear, but those clearances are to combustibles, not just to sheet rock walls.

P series pellet stove clearances.PNG

ivanhoe and savemoney like this.
  3. don2222

don2222

Hello
    The side clearances on a Harman P-Series are greater than most stoves because the sides and top get very hot. :)

Pete Zahria and bogieb like this.
  4. nitro-fish

nitro-fish

Yep, love the radiant heat from the P-Series

ivanhoe, Pete Zahria and bogieb like this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Larry, savemoney can you add to this question? Larry has made many adaptations and has great suggestions for getting pellets from storage to the stove for those not totally able bodied.

Marshel54 , would something like the grandkids pouring the bags into 5 gal buckets and bringing those in work? Alot easier than trying to tip a bag up on end. I bought a decorative aluminum can (like a mini galvanized garbage can) but it now serves as an ash bucket for the leftovers when we empty the ash pan. Another idea is to contact a commercial roofer where you are, they go through tons of 2 and 3 gal buckets from nails/fasteners that have nice handles just like the 5 gal buckets only a lot lighter to lift, maybe the grandkids could fill mulitiple buckets for you in between visits.

6. savemoney

savemoney

The 5 gallon pails works for me for cutting weight of a bag of pellets. Kitty litter plastic pails are even better for lighter loads. If you can get the pellet bags up to a height of 19 inches, (standard height of the seat in most chairs) you can cut a hole one of the bottom corners and it will just pour out on its own. I recommend you put a small piece of cheap plastic tarp down first. spillovers and errant pellets can be easily lifted up after pouring. Also consider a dust mask. If the stove is in the living area, consider doing the pouring somewhere else unless you like dusting after. I have also noticed that the open end of a vacuum in the immediate area will also do a decent job of dust control. most office supply stores and even big box stores sell a small folding flatbed cart that can easily move the pellets, in bags or pails. So no carrying which is when you can easily get off balance and fall. The big thing with pellets, don't hurt your back and don't lose your balance.

imacman, Pete Zahria, ivanhoe and 2 others like this.