In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Converting square ground chain to round

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dakota Hoarder, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

so I have a 32” square ground chain on my 660. I’ve looked into filing it, but it’s to much of a PIA for me. I’m good with filing my round chains.

How do you convert a square chain yo round?

Or should I just buy some round chains?

2. SOS Ridgerider

SOS Ridgerider

You can file it the same way you file everything else round. It’ll convert itself, pretty much. I usually go from round to square, but it’s the same the other way around.
    Should be just fine. No need to spend money on more loops, in my opinion.

3. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Seems like it will take an awful lot of Strokes with the the file?? And the top plate is a different angle than my other chains. Do I change the angle or keep it the same as it is now?

Thanks!

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Converting round ground/filed chain to square is hardest part on the files. It's easily done but if you know someone with a grinder, I recommend it. There are a couple on here that do. After converted, it's pretty easy to keep the chain touched up and razor sharp.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Keep the top plate angle the same. You should be hitting the tie strap a little when all the angles are just right. Also, keep the gullet cleared out and it will be an easier time. THe key is keeping the side plate straight up @ 90 or a bit of lean back. If you don't, the chain starts loosing it's self feeding qualities.
    DSC02110.JPG

Keep the corner of the file lined up with the corner of the cutter and file away. I'm a fan of getting the tooth fully converted and not stopping early (keeping the side plate partially round). Chain cuts smoother when fully square.
    IMG_0767.JPG

6. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Sheesh, I just re-read the first post. Long day... sorry bout that. Not typical for someone to go from square to round so I totally misread, and ran with it. :picard:

8. SOS Ridgerider

SOS Ridgerider

I’d change the top plate to what’s recommended for round chain. I think you’ll be surprised how quickly it’ll convert to round.
    The other option is to keep it square, and use it as a practice chain for square filing, and get another round ground loop for working. Square filing really isn’t that hard once you’ve gotten the technique down. I’ll send you a new file if you’d like to give it a shot.
    Since Jason The Wood Wolverine isn’t completely awake today, he’s posted some good pointers for you already :rofl: :lol:

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I’m blaming last nights rum and cokes. :drunk: Haha!

10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would find someone with a grinder and convert it to Round ground. Why waste your files good ones are not cheap.

11. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I was wondering why you had the double bevel file in the pic! I can’t even get the right file around here. I think I’m just going to get new chain and see if I can someone with a grinder to convert it. I called the main Stihl dealer in town and they won’t grind square. Might drop it off at Ace Hardware and see what they do, hard telling what I’ll get back, I wouldn’t call them expert in chain filing!!

12. mdavlee

mdavlee

Start touching it up round when it’s dull. All you need to have sharp is the top plate and about .050” of the side plate to cut wood. It will convert after a little bit and you won’t lose as much cutter. Even use a smaller file like for .325” or 3/8” pico

metalcuttr, JimBear, jo191145 and 3 others like this.
  13. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

If you truly want to convert, I suggest finding someone with a grinder as it will take some time. When i first jumped into the square ground, I struggled. I keep a fresh loop in front of me when hand filing for reference. The pictures Wolverine posted can also be helpful. After a few practice runs, I feel I can file this just as good as a round profile. I admittedly run both as I bought a ton of chain at logging shows, but I bet with a few more practice runs you can get it......if I can, anyone can!!!

14. Duane(Pa)

Duane(Pa)

Not sure where you’re at with this? I would suggest a few things: Sell the square chain. Don’t let anyone grind it, they will cook it and you’ll never touch it with a file again.

15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

It would not burn the chain any more than grinding round to square and people do it all the time. You just have to take a little more time in the grinding process.

16. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

I'm coming in late on this subject since I did a search yesterday and just found it. I took a beat up 25 inch square filed skip tooth chain and "carefully without overheating" ground it out to round using a 3/16 inch wheel. Tested it yesterday and what a beast. It may not last in the long run, but it worked on the first test. I then touched it up with a hand file and tested again. No issues and it throws a great chip. Stihl 462.

17. firewoodbuckenman

firewoodbuckenman

Great reply and thanks for taking the pictures.

metalcuttr likes this.