In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

computer shopping help

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Aug 22, 2020.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I am looking to upgrade some. I keep two desktop computers going in two location withing the house. One in my heated sunporch is acting up. I am thinking it is time to move on up a bit. I have one on my main desk with two screens that I think "ll move to the porch and replace the main tower in the living room. Here is the one I want to move to the sunporch,
    upload_2020-8-22_19-18-16.png

    Any suggestions for a desk top replacement? Good deals etc.
    Mainly I watch movies, pay bills, some book keeping, some picture editing, and the forums.
     
  2. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,973
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Can't offer any specific advice.

    But, if you watch movies then a good video card is a must, and a lot of RAM never hurts.

    You may also want to consider a Solid State Drive. Much faster than the electro-mechanical drives.

    For what you listed, CPU speed isn't a limiting factor.

    $.02
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,153
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good luck. The last time I looked they aren't offering much with desktops. Seems most of the business is with laptops and phones now.
     
    wildwest, savemoney and Chaz like this.
  4. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Ok, I called an HP rep. today. They had some options I wanted. The one I wanted wouldn't ship for a month. Too long for me. Leary about buying from Amazon etc because of knock off issues. Reviews on amazon told stories of getting junk products. So I opted to buy direct from the company. Paid more than I intended, but got more than I had intended. This one is solid state drive, lots of memory, i7 10th gen.
    Thank you to those who looked or wanted to help.