In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

About -5...maybe just a touch less this morning. Skies were way too clear overnight!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

34 outdoors right now. That's about what it was this morning. Cooled off a bit overnight. But we've gone 2 nights in a row with no fire in the stove. That is amazing for February.

Below are a couple of pictures of the river in town. I guess the water level has raised quite a bit from when these pictures were taken yesterday.

River in Chesaning.jpg

River in Chesaning-2.jpg

3. Midwinter

Midwinter

A freaky 78° today, sun and clouds, but crashing back to the 30°'s tomorrow. All kinds of snow and freezing rain coming, too. But today, it was almost too hot to split! Dump is picking up, found some birch and a couple chunks of apple. IMG_20180221_35543.jpg

4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice job Midwinter. These temps are insane! We hit 70.5 in the sun. The rivers have some ice jamming and the roads are deeply rutted (12" some with weight restrictions) ! Should freeze up hard tonight, will be interesting to see how the roads end up after that.

5. Thor

Thor

27 with a real feel of 23. More black locust and boxelder. Maybe a piece of silver maple too to make it smell good.

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

I feel bad for all of you with high water troubles.

7. BigPapi

BigPapi

It hit 70 here today, still sitting at 50 now. Scooped out the ditches to let the runoff and springs drain off to the river, and let the little one toddle around and get her first taste of mud. Felt great to be in the sun, even if the ground is too soft to accomplish much.

Pine and red maple dancing in the monstrosity. 30s and snow coming tomorrow. :)

8. JPDavis

JPDavis

Sitting @ 34.3° F after a low of 11.8° F last night. They're calling for a low of 21° F so I'll be in the teens. Ash and White Oak burning.

9. Locust Post

Locust Post

Big swing....yesterday I had 81 once on the truck thermo, came home and sat outside at the picnic table with my evening coffee in my shirt sleeves with the dog. No fire last night, started the day outside with 65 and it stayed right there until this afternoon. By the time I got home at 5:30 I needed a fire. 35 out now, 74 in with cherry and ash burning. Freezing rain first thing tomorrow, 40's then back to mid 50's Friday say the weather boys.

HolsatiaRedneck, CHeath, Thor and 6 others like this.
  10. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Made 60F yesterday along with 3" of rain, high water all around the area. Dropped to 30 today, Got some Ash in the furnace holding 72IAT. Not supposed to get real cold in the near future, but I'm hoping for some sun.

11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

11 above at the moment solid overcast. I sure like those poplar poles. Bone dry , don't even need splitting . saw em up and in the stove they go.

12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

my parents live out by the golf courses there. Actually the mountain trail is probably a better landmark to compare to. We took a friends 4x4 out there really fun. More dust to eat than a buffet though.

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Snowing now. Its around 30°F I’ve got madrona, birch, chestnut, and an xmas tree split in there... house has been cozy all day. Actually had continuous fires for like the last 3-4 days and arrived home to stove still warm.

HolsatiaRedneck, CHeath, Thor and 4 others like this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Those fruitwoods hopefully you have kept a little pile for your bbq!!!

15. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Sitting at -26 C or -16 F for the time being. Still too chilly for the stove to pull 100% of the weight for overnight.

16. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Hope you warm up soon sask. We are at about -14c/7f and Im liking it, better than -30c that we just got out of. I was out working today during -11c and the wind made it so cold it sucked big time but it was much better than -30. I think I will be posting milder temps upcoming which is fine by me. Ill try to send some your way! I just loaded larch in the stove as always. No snow on the horizon thankfully as I have enough digging around here.

17. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

It's gotta break sometime I guess, even if that means just warming up to normal temps. We've been mostly having daytime highs that are colder than our normal lows, and that's not counting the winds. Here's hoping for some of that BC warm stuff.:D

And currently -26 C feels -32 C.

18. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Well I cant guarantee Vancouver but maybe some Rocky Mountain temps. We will see. There hasnt been much melting going on which I guess is normal. The rivers are full of ice and not rising at all, to early for that. No snow for the next week but we tend to get good storms late winter early spring. Hows your snow pack? Im guessing lower than normal because of how cold its been? My impression is that we have slightly higher than normal snow on the ground.

19. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

A fair bit less snow than average I'd say. It tends to drift in bad where the wind slows so sometimes seems worse than it is.

20. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

35 here now, snow coming this PM after yesterdays 73 high. a mish mash of splits providing the warmth this morning, I brought a few more loads of wood up to the porch boxes a little while ago before the snow. Have a great day ya'll!