In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JoeinO

JoeinO

27F with a high of 34 Sunny and dry. Have silver maple and ironwood in the Lopi.

2. Buck55

Buck55

Good Morning Everyone! 22 here now and supposed to stay in the 20's all weekend. I am exhausted after a 60 week at work and don't plan on doing much today other than relax and keep the fire going with (mostly) sugar maple. I got the fire going at 6 this morning with some ash and it is now perfect. Peace to y'all and have a great weekend.

3. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I know very well the 60 hour work week and the exhaustion. Right there with ya.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

I used to do that and thought it was good. At some point, you'll find there are plenty of other priorities in life. Mine happened before I was your age.

Don't get me wrong, I still worked full time and had excellent ethics; I just wasn't brainwashed as easily as I was before. Yeah, I worked for somen one else; not self-employed.

5. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Retirement is rapidly approaching for me, light at the end of the tunnel. Thank God.

6. Buck55

Buck55

I don't make it a habit, but in a time of need I will pitch in. My company compensates and treats me very well, so I am willing to do it as needed. And, I like my job and the people I work with. But yeah, I don't want to do it on a regular basis.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  7. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I am on a shift, and the hours we have to work are what they are. Been that way for 44 years. I can't complain, nor will I. Gotta set an example for the kids who do complain, they're happy with 32 hours a week living in mom's basement.

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Where I'm at now it's engrained into the company culture. There are huge crowds of people that haven't had a single day off in years, literally. When I first started a few years ago, right off the bat my boss was asking for weekends, every single weekend. In the beginning out of a sense of duty I obliged. The months dragged on and it hit me one day that this is how it's going to be... So I looked at my kids and decided no, my boss cannot fire me for not working 7 days a week. I make sure to have at least one day a week off now, sometimes two. On the rare occasion I'll work my entire weekend, but no longer will I be chained to my job. No dying man's last wish is that he spent more time at work.

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It was 10.2 this morning, we turned the pellet stove on and this afternoon we'll start burning some beech, sugar maple with some ironwood.

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I turned the pellet stove off and made a fire in the Liberty, most of the wood was soft maple but the next fire will be beech and some sugar maple.

We're just above 16 degrees with some sun.

12. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

35 out right now, was in mid 40s today and sunny, we were gone from 9am to about 3pm, came home to horses and cow not in the fence, 4 blown fences stud and mares together :headbang::picard: got all the horses rounded up, cow took off but has been out before and normally sticks around so wasn't worried about grabbing her, 2 hours of fence repair.. come to find out the cow was over a mile down the road :binoculars::hair:. Got everything and everyone back in place and loaded the OWB up with oak...:pete:

13. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Loaded one more big split of maple to the OWB as it was lower on temp when I loaded it with oak.

Sharped 2 saws, going to head out first light in the morning before the misses gets up to cut some wood.

KIMG0343.JPG KIMG0341.JPG

Tossed a pizza in for supper, time for the couch with some TV and check my eye lids for holes...

14. Smaug

Smaug

34 right now and it's going to get colder.
    I've got a basket of red oak, split real small, ready for the rest of the night.
    I hope to have coals in the morning.

Waking up to a 55 degree house kinda sucks.

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

13.3 tonight with some coals burning down in the wood stove and the pellet stove providing the heat.

16. clay shooter

clay shooter

frost here again the last 2 nights.

17. Rope

Rope

Woke up to a warm 5* and 72* with spruce doing the work. Commute had from -1* to 12*.

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sitting at 0 right now on this early insomniatic morning.....for the last 2 1/2 hours trying to get back to sleep.....OK! You win, I'll get up!

19. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Well it's 14* here now with some Red Oak and Cherry roaring to life on last nights coals. Once again, by mid morning we'll go with Red maple.

20. Slocum

Slocum

20 and 67, American elm burning. Spring is coming fast, Saw bugs flying around yesterday. I’m not ready for that.