In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. clay shooter

clay shooter

nice for you, we now have it a bit chilly and windy, but i did get a squirrel in the woods.

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I'd much rather have it a high in the 50's right now. It does look like we'll get there again in a few days.

Chazsbetterhalf and leoht like this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yes, it use to be a free for all. It was limited to bucks per county. So in county A I could kill 5 county B, I could kill 10 , in county C, I could kill another 10. These are just bucks. Does it didn't matter. You could only kill 2 deer a day. But the thing was untill the very end of that system no one kept track of your deer killed. In the end if you used a processor you put your license with a kill and the DNR would check randomly but I don't know how much they even looked. But a processor I used I could bring deer from adjacent counties. In the coastal game zones they had no buck limit. Season for gun started August 15 and a 2 buck a day limit so you could legally kill several hundred bucks a year (haven't don't the math) in the season that lasts to January 1.

That's all gone and we have tags now. I believe it's 3 buck tags and 3 or 4 for tags that come with your license. One has to have 4 points or better on one side I believe. And you can buy one or two more buck tags. And you can buy 2 or 4 more doe tags I believe? The old system had some days Friday and Saturday pretty much all season except a few weekends, but towards the end they only ended up with about 6 doe weekends. This was right before the tag system. In that system you could buy 4 more doe tags to use any day though. New system does away with the doe days and just use your tags.

As for license. I pay $55 a year to hunt, fish, turkey hunt, and also to hunt public land. Without public land part it would be about $30 less. Out of state season license last I checked might have been $300 for the same thing? I could be wrong on that. I know we have lots of Florida and NC hunters here. My area is infiltrated with all the people from the Charlotte area. There buying little mini farms and stuff and lots hunt down my way.

4. Biddleman

Biddleman

Burning electric. House seemed muggy, so I put AC back on. :headbang: Calling for mid 80s today. Rain most rest of week

5. Backwoods Savage

It was muggy yesterday then we got some rain overnight. No more 70's in our forecast; at least for now. We typically will get a few warm days in October though.

Chazsbetterhalf, clemsonfor and Maina like this.
  6. Sourwood

Sourwood

We had a beautiful weekend. Temperatures dropped with a mild yet steady rain. The pastures and fields needed this.

7. Backwoods Savage

Still a few more days with rain in forecast. High 62 today and going down from there. Looks like a chilly weekend which should be good for hunting! Lots of wood fires this weekend all over the place.

8. Maina

Maina

All this years firewood is ready to go, racks are full of 3 year seasoned wood I CSS myself for the first time. No need to buy any kiln dried this winter. Been running the heat pump on a/c for a few days now though because dew points are so high. I don’t see a need for a fire in the forecast yet. I’m sure that will change in October. We haven’t had a killing frost yet, garden is still green and I’m picking cukes every day. We have 85 butternut squash curing in the greenhouse and it’s been perfect for that. The hugelkultur really performed for its first season. We got over 150 squash, pumpkin, and melons from a space about 12’ x 24’. I think I might build another one.

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Man much better luck than us down here. Had cucumbers pretty good but any squash or melons get what ever worm/wasp/fly/moth/borer that attacks the vines and the larvae eat it out and kill it. I get about one flush of squash and then vines just barely hanging on.

10. lukem

lukem

I think I may light the boiler this evening for DHW. Buying propane last week is giving me a little extra motivation.

11. Maina

Maina

Wood ash kills squash vine borer larvae. They overwinter in the soil/mulch layer, so spread ash over the area in the fall. It’s best to rotate some crops, and with squash it’s mainly because of the vine borers.

12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

This weekend will be in the low 40s. I'm sure I will have to have a short fire at least to take the chill off.

13. rebelduckman

rebelduckman

Nice cold front came through and dropped it into the 40’s. Glad to have the first fire of the season! 4127CD58-5BA6-456A-B51D-E6677E5A12E3.jpeg

14. Dazza95

Dazza95

It was cold on the weekend just gone but temps are now hovering around 45-55f. It’s not quite cold enough for a fire every night so we’ve just been running the oil boiler. It doesn’t feel so bad doing that as we got the oil tank filled when the price was very low and it’s still almost half of what it’s been in years.

15. Todd

Todd

I recently installed propane wall furnace and have been playing with it the last few days while we had temps in the 50's, looks like it will work out great for those take the chill off shoulder season days or when I need to leave the cabin for a few days.

Probably wont burn any wood until temps get a little lower like the next few days where highs are forcasted in the mid 40's. Now that my log cabin is all buttoned up and finished I'm looking forward to seeing how my little Jotul performs.

16. JPDavis

JPDavis

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Rain/snow mix for tonight and tomorrow morning.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Going to be lighting the quadrafire up tonight. It will Frost inland a little bit from here but we should have no frost here because lake Michigan is like 3 miles from my house. I'll cover my garden just in case.

Next week a little warm up though.

19. Backwoods Savage

It's about time. What? No snow in September again this year? Things are changing.

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

Just got off the roads, and yup! There is some sleet hitting the windshield now! :whistle:

(fun times) :zip: