In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I laughed yesterday morning when I got up to go hunting. It was trying to snow and the weather guessers were saying up to 3 or 4". The radar showed most of that storm south of us and not much in our area so I thought maybe an inch at most. I think we got around 5" but haven't measured yet; just going by the reports.

2. Backwoods Savage

I think I'm going to go out and dig out some oak to burn tonight. It's getting cold out there!

3. Rope

Rope

Another fine morning. 4E7F864F-F5E6-4623-81A8-25E4D87096FA.png

4. wheelhorseiron

wheelhorseiron

17. Oak and walnut going strong.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

5. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, we do need to meet up. I don't work in Hartland any more, and I work closer to home.
    If you've got a project where you need an extra hand, I'm close enough.:handshake:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Horkn

Horkn

I'll have to see what we really got down to overnight up in my neighborhood. They said 8° all I know was the ironwood, apple, shagbark hickory and ash fire I had last night was epic. Any traces of darkness on the side windows of the insert were gone. The door glass was too hot to read with the pyrometer, but the actual STT was 674°. Chhhhhhhhoooooooooccccchhhhhhhhhinnnnn!!!!

I heard the furnace come on ( set at 67) while I was getting ready this am. Not bad. I expect that with the t stat at 67, and letting pups out in the am, and just walking around circulating the air seems to trip the t stat.

I loaded the stove with ash this am. 10° when I left the house.

Rope, metalcuttr, CHeath and 9 others like this.
  7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Woke to 51 degrees but temps supposed to be plummeting to mid low 30's by 5PM and calling for lows in the low 20's. Fire in the hole for sure next few days!

Rope, metalcuttr, CHeath and 7 others like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

9. Heat550

Heat550

Yes we're number 1 like Minnesota should be you betcha .. but I can't believe winds of north Dakota
    Can be milder then Minnesota. Or Alaska .. think of Canada there the Masters of cold . I think north Dakota and Minnesota might be a tie and Alaska is the worst they get no sun come on .

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Rope, CHeath, amateur cutter and 8 others like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

It looks a bit off to me too, I spent 44 years in Colorado, the winters are very very nice, but come on, between Cal and Fla? I can deal with the cold temperatures here but like you mentioned ND, the wind causes it to be so much worse. I'd end up a crazy lady without sun in AK. Oh, and MT too, sure bad areas but more pleasant than where it's ranked.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Rope, CHeath, amateur cutter and 6 others like this.
  11. Horkn

Horkn

12. CHeath

CHeath

well im sunburned but it still holds true in NC that you run the heat in the mornings to work and the a/c in the afternoon on the way home. 19 tonight.

13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Drove through temps of -1f this morning. Not at the house, but close.

14. rebelduckman

rebelduckman

It’s down right cold in Mississippi! It’s about freezing with a north wind about 15. Burning ash, maple and sass. Nice and toasty 75 inside
    440B6A1C-46F3-4B49-A5F3-79D7CF6BF59C.jpeg

Thor, Rope, metalcuttr and 12 others like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Yeah, the writer of those lines about the worst states is mostly bologna. Reading about Michigan, you'd think everyone in the state lives from Lansing and south. In addition, there is a world of difference in weather from north to south; perhaps the most difference of any state. For example, something was said, I think about MN having over 100" of snow. What about those areas of MI that get over 300"? Then what about some of those areas that only get 30" or so. Don't know about most folks but there is a tremendous difference between 300 and 30. And although the population is much heavier from Lansing or Grand Rapids southward, there is still a good amount of the population above that area...especially in the UP.

16. Backwoods Savage

I looks like we ended up with around 6" of snow yesterday.

17. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I take exception to many things in that article. (Maybe this should be it's own thread) Starting out with "In most of America, winter sucks. It is cold out. You don’t feel like doing anything, so you get fat. Pipes freeze. Lips, noses, and cheeks get chapped and raw. Black ice kills. Polar vortex enters the lexicon. Snow hats look cool until you have to take them off indoors and then your hair looks chitty. It’s horrible."

Must be an indoor, dress shoes kinda guy that wrote that. Me, I love winter. One of my favorite times to go camping & hiking, except when I have to rescue some damm fool that wanted to post some outdoorsy selfies on Faceplant and thought it was going to be just like the Subaru commercial. Sure there are times when it's prohibitive to be outside and you have to hunker down and ride out the storm inside, but that's shop time rebuilding chainsaws, carving etc or good book by the fire time. You haven't lived until you've slept outside in a down sleeping bag in sub zero weather, listening to white noise of snow landing on your tent.

Off the tangent and back on this thread.. was near 60 yesterday, below freezing & windy now and headed for the low to mid teens tonight. Fire will be going steady for the next couple days.

18. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Yeah I didn't care for that too much either!!

Likewise!! Not sure a Christmas goes by without being reminded 400 thousand times Philly threw snowballs at Santa......Hec it don't even have to be Christmas time....LOL!

19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I almost made a new thread for this article, bet it would be a hoot if you did :)

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Oh, and the hat head hair has wondering too. Girl or male lunbersexual, or?