In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cold stumps

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sandhillbilly, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

I need to clean out a bunch of small elms mostly, and a few cedar (junipers) that have sprouted up in inappropriate places around the shop at work. The cedars I’m not to concerned about as I have never seen one sprout back from a stump. But I don’t want to have to deal with a bunch of elm bushes in 2 years.
    So the question is…. Are glyphosate based stump killers effective in the cold weather winter months? the elm saplings are mostly 2-3” at the ground might be a couple pushing 4”

2. billb3

billb3

Winter is supposed to be a good time. Best if you can apply it to the thin area between the bark and the sapwood ( in other words, spraying the heartwood is wasting the glyphosate) as soon after cutting and exposing it as posssible. It supposedly doesn't take much so it's not like you have to or even should drench it.
    With small stumps and a typical spray bottle I doubt if a surgical application is possible. Not by me anyway.

3. Chud

Chud

You can paint undiluted roundup on the stump. The cambium layer is the conductor or maybe it’s the phloem. One of those will move the glyphosate.

4. Theashhole

Theashhole

I've used tordon with goodluck, it says to "paint" it on but there's too much waste that way so I'm gonna try a spray nozzle this spring, mostly on black locust stumps and saplings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Drive some copper nails itot the stumps. It will kill the tree and stop any future regrowth. Old timers trick i learned from an elderly customer years back. No chemicals either.

6. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Killed sumac and buckthorn with great success by drilling 1/2" holes at a 45° angle about an inch deep in live trees and then filling with straight glyphosate with a small syringe. I've never tried it in winter though.

7. Backwoods Fellin'

Backwoods Fellin'

Same here

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I would wait for spring to use the round-up. It works by making the growth so fast that it kills. Of course this a simple explanation but you'll get the idea.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.