In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cold splitting kindling

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Skier76, Feb 2, 2019.

  1. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,016
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    I usually split enough kindling to get me through about 80% of the winter. Not the case this year. So today, I went outside and hit the pile for some pine and started splitting.

    I have to say, winter splitting is really easy. The wood pops apart like nothing. I suppose when it's -4F overnight, everything will be nice and frozen. No bugs, and not sweating. It was a relaxing time by the pile, outside with the Fiskars.
     
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,160
    Location:
    Central MI
    Making kindling can be fun. I've found it is even more fun making it with a hydraulic splitter! Here we tend to use soft maple for kindling.
     
  3. hovlandhomestead

    hovlandhomestead

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2018
    Messages:
    2,428
    Likes Received:
    19,479
    Location:
    MN
    I think it is fun too. When I run out of it, I make it right at the hearth out of thin splits of poplar, birch or black ash using a hatchet...just watch the fingers, which I do, very earnestly!
     
    Skier76 and Canadian border VT like this.