In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cold evening to be hauling logs!

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Scotty Overkill, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

...but the job required a good, deep freeze to get these big logs out, being the yard was an absolute sponge. Several underground springs, combined with poor drainage, required us to wait til the ground was good and froze to get these monster spruce logs out. Well, we finally did just that this evening....

These two Norway spruces that blacksmith and I climbed and removed a few weeks back lead to some really nice logs.

20171216_113129.jpg

2017121995161743.jpg

We tried to get the logs out on New Years Eve morning, but the log lift on the trailer wasn't cooperating, so we had to call in Joes cousin Tony with his tracked skidsteer to do the job. We gave him the logs (he's the one who has a bandmill) and they'll be used for dimensional timbers for his barn. The biggest logs were almost 34" diameter at the base, and the logs were all cut 14-16'.

-10° windchill didn't stop us from getting it done!

20180104_164246.jpg

20180104_164312.jpg

20180104_165751.jpg

2. Erik B

Erik B

Scotty Overkill I know all about waiting for the right ground conditions. Had a bucket truck attempt to get close to a tree I was having taken down and the truck got stuck within 2 feet of getting off the driveway. Had to wait until the depths of winter to have them try again and succeed.

J. Dirt, Chvymn99, leoht and 2 others like this.
  3. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

We had the bucket truck lined up for a couple jobs this Saturday, but thanks the the high winds forecasted we'll have to put it off til Sunday. Same thing there......the yards are usually too wet to get in, but this cold freezes the ground and allows it.

4. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I have a section of my wood lot that can only be cut in the winter, we call it "The Bottoms" because it is shaped like a bowl and is filled with black water. It has a lot of good wood down there, but it will not be cut this year. Despite super cold for sustained periods of time, we got snow early and the ground is not frozen at all. With my bulldozer and log trailer I MIGHT be able to get it out, but it depends on who is buying wood too.

Nice butt logs you had there.

5. Erik B

Erik B

I had to use my snow blower on my yard to expose the ground to freezing temps before the bucket truck could drive on it. Fun time was had by all.

Boomstick, J. Dirt and blacksmith like this.
  6. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

This area is so wet that it never freezes. I once almost got stuck with a skidder, and a person has to work pretty hard to do that!

7. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Nice one, for a second one could think it aint your job as it looks like funtime.
    -10° and fun in one sentence :whistle:

Scotty can you post some pictures of the logs during and after the bandmill? I`d love to see that!

Chaz and J. Dirt like this.