In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Clydesdale 8492

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by cezar, Dec 3, 2022.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very nice cezar :thumbs:.

Horkn and oldspark like this.
  2. cezar

cezar

Last update till next winter. It's June and I finally got around to cleaning up the stove. I partially cleaned the chimney halfway through the heating season so I didn't expect a whole lot but I did want to clean the whole thing thoroughly so I'm not staring at a dirty stove all summer long. I picked up a second Sooteater kit so I can go all the way to my rain cap. I got it on discount, and it appears the company has gone out of business, so hopefully someone else will step in to fill the gap, but my two kits will probably last me at least a decade either way. The kit works great and gives me the confidence to not call a sweep.

I got about 2 cups of creosote out which is about as much as I got in the last cleaning. This seems right in line with my expectations and I may skip cleaning mid-season next winter. I got up inside the stove with a wire brush and got every last bit of gunk out that I could and it cleaned up nicely. The cats were partially clogged, and I will probably start making a habit to clean them monthly going forward.

Pulled the ash lip cover and vacuumed inside the fan housing as well. While in there I noted that a weird springgy noise heard while adjusting the air control was not in fact normal and was a result of the air control scraping on the intake mesh. I was able to bend it a bit out of the way and the sound is gone. Bad QC, which seems to be a recurring trend with this stove.

Speaking of bad QC, I did one last burn in last spring after the stove sat for a couple weeks and I found that the bypass handle was almost impossible to move. Once it heated up it freed up and the issue has not returned. I will note that there is a known issue with these stoves that causes this issue, but my understanding is that it's usually the reverse issue--they get stuck while hot. Hearthstone advises that I get my dealer to look at it, but because it requires the stove to be un-installed I'm putting it off for now because it sounds like a huge hassle.

Overall I continue to be ecstatic with having A stove, but perhaps not THIS stove. If I could do it all over again I would not look at the Clydesdale and instead look at a Woodstock or Blaze King (probably BK). That said I don't think there are any showstopping issues with my stove and I do believe it will continue to serve me well.

Horkn, billb3, Eckie and 1 other person like this.
  3. cezar

cezar

[​IMG]

Kicking off year two. So cozy.

Monadnock Monster, Horkn and billb3 like this.
  4. cezar

cezar

5. cezar

cezar

[​IMG]

Had a warm front roll through so decided to clean up the stove. I planned on just brushing the cats with a paintbrush, but they were mega clogged with fly ash so I went ahead and removed them and sprayed them out with compressed air and did a deep clean because hey why not. I'm starting to arrive at a maintenance regime that looks like:
    WEEKLY: remove ash and clean glass with wet towel coated in ash
    BIWEEKLY: clean cats
    MONTHLY: deep clean everything, scraping glass clean and using paste cleaner
    YEARLY: sweep chimmney and deep clean

This is working for me. I'm surprised the cats seem to collect so much fly ash as I'm burning really decent cord wood and never ever use paper. I've tried super cedars, fatwood, and rutland firestarters. I think for the value the rutland are the best, fatwood are the most functional, and guys I'm sorry but super cedars just aren't that good. They're expensive and crumbly and make a huge mess.

In regard to the glass, I'm finding that it is way, WAY easier to clean now. It's like it needed to break in or something. I've been using the Rutland paste which has silica in it which appears to bond to the glass surface, so it may be that, but a quick pass with the razor is getting even the most stubborn blackened corner bits off. Additionally, I'm learning to run the stove better which is resulting in much clearer glass. At this point I'm just getting a bit of a halo around the edges which actually doesn't even look bad.

Currently getting about 80% of our home heating from the stove which I'm very pleased about.

theburtman and moresnow like this.
  6. moresnow

moresnow

Sounds like a proper routine.
    Guessing you got a batch of the crumbly SC's. Believe those are cycled out now.

wildwest likes this.
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam

old post but for future readers, since this was about BK stoves, no, there is no cleaning required at any interval unless your particular fuel or draft strength sucks up enough fly ash to clog them. I don’t remove my catalyst until it’s time to replace it after 12000 hours or so.

wildwest likes this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

At what point does one need to empty stove ashes, and also vacuum/or blow out the cat?

9. Highbeam

Highbeam

It depends….

When burning fir for full time heat for 8-9 months last year I only had to dump ash once in the middle and then at the end of the year clean out.

Zero need to vacuum or blow the cat out. I tend to sweep the cat face with a paint brush and blow with my mouth/lungs at the end of the season. Cat stays installed in the stove.

There are some folks burning fluffy ash woods like cottonwood on tall chimneys in big houses with those fine mesh steel cats that can likely plug up a cat quick and need to empty ashes daily.

So a range.

wildwest likes this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you HB. Glad to hear. Thrilled about the maintenance compared the pellet furnace. Our ash falls when restoking to a fraction of what it was, I bet we can go many months.

11. cezar

cezar

THAT IS INSANE!! I only hear good things about BK.

THAT IS ALSO INSANE!!

I have to clean out minimum once a week and if I don't I start losing firebox capacity and my overnight burns suffer. My owners manual says once a week also. Burning mostly oak and ash.

12. cezar

cezar

Swept the chimney today. Been having trouble getting cold starts going and just wanted to do a deep clean and check everything out. The wood I'm burning must be a little wet or something because everything checked out perfectly.

I got about 2oz of creostote out of the whole thing, this is the smallest amount I've gotten in 3 cleanings, so I must be burning right. Cats had the usual fly ash coating but no big deal. Must be burning cleaner than I thought. Door handle lock nut was loose, tightened it up. Otherwise the stove looks great. Ready for the polar vortex.

billb3 likes this.
  13. cezar

cezar

Fired the stove up last night getting in from out of town and it roared to life. Not sure if anything I did cleaning it mattered but it definitely is running perfectly at the moment. It's 15 degrees here and the draft on this tall chimney at these temps is amazing. Currently running 100% on wood heat.

Rich L, Eckie and theburtman like this.
  14. cezar

cezar

Probably two weeks away from firing up the Clydesdale for heat.

Pondering whether or not to pull the baffle and cats to inspect.

I cleaned everything thoroughly in the spring but who knows if there is a nest of something in there.