In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Clearing along the stonewalls...

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Stinny, May 21, 2014.

  1. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Not sure what you guys get every year... here, I expect to mow every 4 days from mid May to the end of June. If July is sunny and dry, things calm down. My bride and I are gonna head up to our cabin for lunch on Sat. We'll check it all out and zap any new hornet nests just getting started. Yellow jackets are a constant threat up there, making nests in at least 3-4 places every year. Oh yeah... and I'll use the small mower too. Might even take some pics...

    How often do you get out to your cabin?
     
  2. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Looking good Stinny :yes: Liquid Chlorine will kill all ya want ;)
     
    Stinny likes this.
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Can you get the stones that are in front of the wall back into place on the wall? Maybe once all the stumps are dead an gone, you could mow in front without any rocks in the way.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  4. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Several times a week, my cabin is about 200 yards back in the woods behind my house.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    That's the plan. Gonna take valuable time away from firewood hoardin' tho... ;) There's a pretty good ditch there that's full of those alder stumps and needs to be filled it too. Guessing 20 yards at least. I think I'm gonna get some juice to zap the leafy brush and the alder stumps first and then keep on ripping and tearing.
     
    fishingpol likes this.
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I know your cabin was very close. Do you stay in it or just go for the day? Now that we're closer we usually just do day trips.
     
  7. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    We just go back for the day right now. Usually on weekends. But this will be the first summer when it is just ours. So I have a feeling we will be spending some nights. Going to have to get a bed back there for my wife and I. The kids don't mind sleeping on sleeping bags, but I am well past sleeping on the floor or ground. LOFL. I use to camp and sleep in a tent. Buddies and I would hike back into the woods and spend the weekend. But I stopped sleeping on the ground quite a few years ago! :thumbs: Now if we go, we do a day hike and it is back to the camp that a friend owns in the Adirondacks where we can drink cold beer in comfort and sleep in a really comfortable bed. Then wake up and cook bacon and eggs in the morning. And head out for some bass fishing later. Been a while since I did that with them though. Life has become too busy.:(
     
    Loon and Stinny like this.
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I know you know this Gas my friend... there's a lot of things worse than a busy life... ;):D I'm with ya on sleeping on the ground tho. No way. H*ll I'm a couple hours gettin going in the morning as it is... :rofl: :lol:
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  9. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY