I was working outside today and was inspired by swags cleaning. I just did my cap cause my slammer install ( yes i know its on the list, ling story) does not allow me to clean midseason. The cap was pretty plugged up. I have burned a little over 2 cords. Mixed wood, oak , elm, bit of cherry, 1/3 card pine, bit of locust, half cord hickory. All been below 20% some down to 10%. Replaced ny cats this season too and cleaned chimney before this season.
Nice to be cleaned, bet the draft is better. Summer there yet? Looks like you need to go to 15% or lower moisture wood if that's 2 cords
And I thought swags' was fugly....well, it was, but...... Yeah, that should breath much better now. My cap doesn't have a screen, and it's a totally different setup, but yep, even with dry wood and good burning practice, the cap gets gunked up. Not trying to derail, but I hope the NC30 helps a bit with that. Just wondering if most of that hasn't happened recently as the outside temps have warmed and burns slowed?
Mine has got progressively worse as temps rise. But was getting bad about 2 months ago. The top part use to still have openings but this last time they were closed up.
not as bad as last season when the cats had obviously failed!!!!! And yes it draws much better. I restarted a fire last night and where the first kinds ling fire smoke use to back up into the room in till it got hot....no more sucks it up the chimney like a vac
Wow, those are pretty clogged! I don't get anything on my cap at all, nothing. Only the bottom 5 or 10 feet of my pipe coming off the stove gets a bit of creo built up thru the season. Btu my cap looks like the day it was new after 2 seasons now.
That looks like glazed Sote on the inside of the clay liner Clem. If that's not level 3 Creosote, then it's awful close. Cap looks good, but the cap doesn't worry me in the least bit. Those clay liners and the hard Sote that's stuck to them, is what worries me.