Not sure if I ever mentioned...but I also collect Coleman or Coleman style lanterns,stoves and heaters . Its a really fun hobby . Anyway.......a good trick to getting rust off of the metal parts..is soaking them in a citric acid water solution for a period of time determined by how much rust there is ! Works like a charm...also works when brass parts are boiled in it as well . So in the last few years I have found many uses for the citric acid . Such as...I live in a rental house now after the divorce took my house and garage But anyway..it has water with a lot of extra minerals . My landlord doesn't believe in softeners....but he did put in a filter..which at least helps . But anything coming out of the dishwasher was spotted and hazy. So someone suggested putting a tablespoon of citric acid on top of the dry dish washing soap . Works like a charm . Spotless dishes !! Also use it to clean up the sinks and tubs after they get all gunky . Works for all sorts of things !! I get mine in 5 lb. containers...which lasts me about a year . But for those that wanna try it on a small scale first..some cheap packets of lemon/lime Kool Ade will do the trick as well . But be careful soaking metal parts..or plated parts . Leave it in for too long..and you will know it !!! Anyone else have anymore uses for citric acid ??
You can pick it up pretty cheap in the canning section too. We have a small bottle from Dawn dish soap that we cleaned out and put citric acid and water in and squirt it into the dishwasher, works a lot like your dishwasher trick. If you are making homemade cheese, citric acid will make it stretchy like mozzarella.
Use it to spay hanging moose quarters & the meat bags. Slows bacteria & keep flies off the meat, reduces the meat odor (a good thing out in the bush) Keeps meat longer on warmer days & have time to get it home & butchered.
If metal is left in longer, does the citric acid clean it more, tarnish it or erode it? I am looking for a way to "age" copper and brass with a nice patina in short order.
Hi Grizzly Adam , it appears I need to both "clean" my new dishwasher as well do a load with just my icky glassware/coffee cups on it. Flashback to my new dishwasher problems in 2014, GE sent me a citric acid packet to try. Suppose I could use this in my dishwasher (stainless tub)?. I read somewhere you buy some kind when the canning supplies are on sale.
Yeah, its used to increase acidity when canning. Makes a pretty good wartime era lemonade substitute as well.