In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney liner question

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jerhurt, Nov 2, 2019.

1. webby3650

webby3650

Geez dude! You are clearly just looking for a fight which I’m not willing to engage in. A insulated SS liner is always better! I’ll say it again too! :thumbs::thumbs:

brenndatomu likes this.
  2. Hoytman

Hoytman

I’m here for the same. Please don’t take a long post in description and clarification efforts as being argumentative because that’s not my intent...only to make sure clear information is presented.

A chimney sweep...if he finds a defective clay liner, every time they will tell you that you need or even have to re-line with SS...and that is not required by national code. It’s a sales tactic, that’s all.

Clay of the same identical size performs in every way as good as SS...as long as it’s heated slowly and moisture is kept out. SS, even the best, when used with coal will eventually need replacing...often multiple times over a persons lifetime. If the clay is maintained properly it may never need replacing even with burning coal. You don’t sweep and clean SS and coal fly ash chemicals will quickly ruin an expensive SS liner.

3. Hoytman

Hoytman

I’m not here to be an a$$ “dude”. If you take it that way, that’s on you. Don’t put words into my statements that I didn’t mention. Again, you brought up the clearance issue. I just corrected the record.

4. webby3650

webby3650

You certainly haven’t corrected anyone or anything. If a clay flue has failed, it needs replaced. Be it clay, (which only an idiot would do) or an insulated SS liner, Which has a lifetime warranty. I have no idea why you think they need regular replacing? That’s not an accurate statement at all!

brenndatomu likes this.
  5. webby3650

webby3650

You said you’d never remove a perfectly good clay liner... that’s impossible if there’s a clearance issue on certain masonry chimneys. That’s it! ... sometimes it’s not possible to leave the liner, that’s my point. Anyone with the internet can find the answer to their question, your squabbling will make no difference.

brenndatomu likes this.
  6. Hoytman

Hoytman

The correcting I was refering to was with regard to what my original words (read below) were. No more, no less. Don't twist my words to say something else.

I did say that...that I wouldn't remove a perfectly good clay liner...yes I did say that....even in one that fails clearances. If the chimney is that old that it doesn't meet clearance specs, and the liner is still good, the home is still standing, what's the problem? Especially if there are signs of use, and if it's that old there will be signs of use. That would be one old clay liner still in good shape. I'd say the home owner knew what the hell they were doing, unlike some of the kool-aid drinkers on forums.

Now you're back peddling mentioning a failed clay liner. No one but you, just now, mentioned a failed clay liner. Find one place where I mentioned I wouldn't replace a failed clay liner...one place...one place with either liner type. You won't find it because I never said that.

I'll say it flat out, that in a home that old, regardless of proper specs to clearances, I wouldn't have an issue replacing that clay with clay so long as the surrounding masonry is in tact. None at all. I might have the clay liner lined with some refractory material (do you even know what I'm talking about) and I might not. I might consider rebuilding the entire masonry unit to meet specs. I might even forget about it and put a pipe straight out the roof, but I'd also not have an issue replacing the clay with clay.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. webby3650

webby3650

:zip: Ok chief..

brenndatomu likes this.
  8. Hoytman

Hoytman

...what’s that all about?

Never mind....it’s not worth the explanation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. NVhunter

NVhunter

...:stirpot:...

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

You already don’t care, but I’ll post this anyway.

See...you either misread what I said or didn’t read it all or you didn’t want to read all of it. Those comments were in regard to coal burning. It is accurate...
    Introduction to Coal Burning | Coal News | Coalpail.com Forum
    Search that forum and you’ll find pictures of SS liners in use while burning coal that have partially disintegrated and some, completely disintegrated. Not all do that, but it’s proof not all SS liners or grades of SS liners are equal... better shop around. If you’d like to see the pics I can go ahead and post the link for you to see.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Mr. Hoytman ...why the need to poo poo on anything or anybody that doesn't agree with your "anything antique is superior to anything modern" attitude?
    Think I'm wrong? Go back and read your 208 posts here...I bet 200 of them are poo poo-ing on something, or arguing your point.
    I suppose farmers are stupid for using modern turbo diesel tractors instead of steam too?
    We don't all have to agree all the time, but a little positivity once in a while is refreshing...

12. Hoytman

Hoytman

I’ve not called anyone names...like chief, idiot, or anything else. I’ve not even accused anyone of arguing with me or fighting with me on this forum....let alone this particular discussion. Ever! Not even you.

Hey brother, those are some mighty strong numbers you put up there. You do know the burden of proof is placed with the accuser, right? Sure you knew it, that’s why you wrote the words the way you did...all opinion. You had to give your opinion because you had no intentions of really proving anything factual about my posts or being negative in all my posts.

Given your above quote:
    Who’s poo pooing who?
    Who’s being true?
    Who don’t even care anymore?
    It makes me wonder who’s doing right by some tonight and who’s car is parked next door.

Here...let me help you with lyrics and the arrangement.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

OK...did you go back and read your posts? I think you may be surprised how argumentative many of them come across...not sure if you mean for that to be the case or not...I know some people are just really direct, and that doesn't always translate well online...but that still doesn't account for all the modern stove bashing and crowing about the superiority of clay liners...which very well may work fine for many people, but in my (and most) peoples minds, we are 100% convinced that class A stainless steel is the way to go for burning wood. If you'd rather use your old school clay, hey, its your house, go for it.
    I will give credit where credit is due however, you done did good with helping to get unicorn1's XL door fixed up.
    But we are way off in the weeds from the OP's topic here so...maybe its time to stick a fork in this thread...

eatonpcat, Chvymn99, walt and 3 others like this.
  14. webby3650

webby3650

I clean, maintain and install all types of chimneys, including most types of SS liners. I can recognize a superior product when I see it. Masonry ain’t it!
    To the OP, if you still have any questions about your liner feel free to ask. If you are afraid to add anything to this post (for obvious reasons...) feel free to PM with any questions.

eatonpcat, blacktail, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  15. Hoytman

Hoytman

I’ll give my number freely to either of you if you have questions about my comments in this thread. You can ask me directly. It is clear comprehension of my writing isn’t an option. Either of you?

Block chimney, clay liner...8” opening...need to keep it 8”. Let’s remove the clay and replace with insulated rigid SS. The pipe I found online today is 10” wide. Can either of you get it down inside?

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Why would you use rigid air cooled pipe inside a chimney?
    A 6" flexliner with insulation would be in the 7.25" OD range...that should fit...316Ti Chimney Champion Easy Flex Chimney Liner Kit - 6" | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Liners
    a 6" rigid singlewall SS liner (with 1/2" insulation) would be about the same OD. 304L Chimney Champion Rigid Chimney Liner Kit - 6" | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Accessories, Chimney Liners, Champion Ridgid 304L Chimney Liner Kits
    If you wanted to go a little overboard, you could drop a SS class A chimney pipe in there...that would be about 8" OD
    And I am using 6" flue liner as an example because that is the most commonly used size on many/most modern stoves/furnaces.

walt and Chaz like this.
  17. Hoytman

Hoytman

Stove shop will not install anything but 8”ID on. BK king model. Richmond Builders Supply, Richmond, Indiana...that’s why. Don’t think the pipe I looked at online was air cooled but may have been. They did give other possible solutions for my own personal set up...SS insulated liner, but not on a rigid liner. I’m just the messenger guys!

Edit: Also said clay could be coated with thermal refractory as an option. Not cheap!

They didn’t have an answer on out of clearance masonry and not being able to leave the liner. Of course, this is NOT my situation...mine is needing to maintain the opening. My actual clearance is good, but with regard to the scenario brought forth in this discussion...shrugged there shoulders aside from relining with clay and/or adding the thermal barrier.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Didn't know we were talking about a King...the 8" flue it uses is not the norm these days for sure.
    If it was 8" pipe then yeah, it was 10" OD (non air cooled...air cooled 8" would be 12" OD)

walt and Chaz like this.
  19. Hoytman

Hoytman

And that’s my point...I said in my original comments what I would do. I didn’t realize we were going to discuss “options”. I said I’d leave a good liner if I could. The other guy said it’s not always possible if clearances aren’t there. I did not disagree. However, in my situation, I had been contemplating buying a King...been over there to look at it 5 times over the last three years...they said has to be 8” all the way out. So, what I’ve been trying to say is you can’t always change what you have either. You either replace, or tear out and replace to meet clearance. At that point I’d have a decision to make rebuild masonry with whatever liner, or just go out the roof.

That’s all I’ve been saying.

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My understanding is that a SS flexliner (insulated) (or rigid insulated liner) is what's needed when the chimney doesn't meet proper CTC...but I will defer to the pro webby3650 on this...I'm sure he deals with this on a weekly basis.

walt and Chaz like this.