In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Happy Stacker, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Happy Stacker

Happy Stacker

2. blujacket

blujacket

Nope. My chimney gets swept every Spring after burning season ends. Have never been worried about a chimney fire since I burn well seasoned wood.

milleo and wildwest like this.
  3. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

milleo and wildwest like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Not a bad idea but in all the years we've been burning we've never had one nor have we had a chimney fire. Good burning practices and good fuel should keep you safe.

Chvymn99, milleo and wildwest like this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz

Well, I am interested enough to look into keeping one or two on hand.. just in case.

After all, I have 2 fire extinguishers that I've never used, and have replaced as necessary over the years.

But if I had a raging fire in the stove and a chimney fire in progress, I think I'd be more than a bit worried to open the stove to throw the thing in. o_O

Under other than optimal circumstances, all one would be doing is inviting the fire into the living area.

I agree that keeping the chimney clean is the BEST defense against unwanted mayhem.:thumbs:

Even with less than optimal firewood, I only have to clean my chimney once per season, but I do drop the bottom cap and "peek" on occasion.

edit.. Bookmarked for future reference. $20 a piece is not much to pay for a bit more peace of mind. Just hope they'd be wasted money under the circumstances.

Chaz

6. Happy Stacker

Happy Stacker

I think with a chimney fire raging there would be one heck of a draft and no chance of the fire backing out of the stove. I too keep my chimney clean and inspect regularly but keep a couple of Chimfex on hand for the peace of mind it provides.

Camber, Sean, milleo and 4 others like this.
  7. BZOR

BZOR

I've seen those advertised and often thought about buying one or two, but never have

8. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

The best chimney fire extinguisher is actually one that is homemade.

Rural fire departments get a bad reputation and are often derogatorily called "Celler Saver's" because of distance from the firehouse, volunteer labor, etc, but it really is unwarranted, when I was on the fire department, we honestly tried our best. It does not matter if a person is rich or poor, when they have a fire, they lose everything. One way we did that for residents was to prevent a chimney from cracking after a fire.

So we learned to take a CUP of water and mix in some dish detergent. By opening the door just a crack, tossing in the water, and then shutting the stove door quickly, the water flashes to steam and draft takes it up the chimney and puts out the fire. The water soaks into the wood better than water alone and keeps the wood from roaring back to life. If it does, rinse and repeat, but the first shot of water will put the chimney fire out.

Camber, MikeInMa, Firefighter and 5 others like this.
  9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Camber and Sean like this.
  10. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Welcome to the group Happy Stacker! I clean my chimney more than I need to for peace of mind and have never had a chimney but I have one as well. Why not hey?

11. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

I keep one under my wood holder by my stove and also by the fireplace. I sweep annually too.

Camber and Happy Stacker like this.
  12. Firefighter

Firefighter

Camber and Chaz like this.