In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Sorry about your keyboard, I keep a cheap extra USB one here..... My keyboards last longer since I lost sweet Blondie doggie and she doesn't root around up on my desk at night anymore but we still break them.

bogieb likes this.
  2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

No real problem it had gone months since I last charged it. The mouse is next.

wildwest likes this.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I don't know about that made in China hardware cloth but half inch is correct for enclosures. It works fine for keeping all but small snakes out, BTW ground hogs don't
    eat meat. They need to look up the spelling for others. Now to charge my rodent.

bogieb and wildwest like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I didn't look into it enough, thanks. "Oter" :picard:

bogieb likes this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:hair: Who ever heard of next day deliver from a few hundred miles away?!? I ordered just after midnight, so technically today with expected delivery 1-2 weeks. Nope they'll be here today:eek:

I guess XL dog crate and go to town tomorrow. Asked WWW to pick up some pellets, hope he makes it to the feed store before they close tonight.

bogieb likes this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

PHEW!! Breeder emailed she made a mistake, deliver is next Thursday.

bogieb and Canadian border VT like this.
  7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Breath.... :salute:

wildwest and bogieb like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I didn't think about mosquitos. We have them so heavy here ~May - July 4th (they spray crops then), really, we can get a 1/4" thick layer of smashed ones on our bumpers and grills.... Can too many mosquitos harm chickens?

9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Only if they eat too many I haven't seen that happen,used to use the chickens to control stupid Japanese beetles until the milky spore took hold they were feed horn worms as fast as we could be take them off the tomatoes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    wildwest likes this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks. LOL my first Brittany (dog breed) became obese in summer of (91' or 92'), we had a grasshopper invasion, it was incredible how many there were, and she liked to catch and eat them....She went back to normal size when the invasion was over but gained a few pounds with a miller moth invasion a couple years late LOL. I found something called Fowl Pox chickens can get from mosquitos but they are immune once they get over it and it's not severe. Even with the zillion mosquitos here heartworm is not common, so I'm not going to get them vaccinated for fowl pox. We had the horn worms in the late 80's, I can totally see your girls gorging on them lol, but sorry for your tomato plants.

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I joined a FB chicken group. A woman there said be prepared to restock 1/3 of your flock every spring (predators). What are your thoughts on this?

Mitch Newton, Chvymn99 and yooperdave like this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

We had our entire chicken flock destroyed in one day. Neighborhood dogs. The owners were put on notice that the next time their dogs stopped by for a visit would be the last.

I wonder where that woman is located that 1/3 of the flock is lost every year? But, I'm assuming it is due to predators. We never had our chickens over winter, as it is so brutally cold.

wildwest and Chvymn99 like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi Dave, I hear you about the cold! But people here say they will be fine (I guess we'll see...). Daytime will be a covered and fenced area within sight of my desk where I sit, so hopefully I'll see if something slips through in there somehow. Sorry about your flock.

I have a heater water bowl I bought for the stray semi feral cats (now gone), maybe I can figure out how to secure it so it's not tipped over or pooped in. Idk, might need a differen't kind, tired of spending $.

yooperdave likes this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

I should have added that this was 50 years or so when it had happened.

wildwest likes this.
  15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Funny thing happened, my neighbor learned after two rounds chased his mutt off my property.

yooperdave and wildwest like this.
  16. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

we use these for chicken water, install in any bucket and hang it, the water stays clean and they don’t freeze up when you use a submersible heater in the bucket.

wildwest and MikeInMa like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you Dave. Too bad I gave away our llamas water heater.

DaveGunter likes this.
  18. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Some day when Mrs DG and I are ready I’d like to raise llamas, and goats, and sheep, and pigs….

bogieb, Biddleman and wildwest like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

They're very cool pets. Yes I said pets not livestock. They can go anywhere with a delicate footprint as well as eat the foliage on hunting trips (we always had to pack in many miles) and you don't have to bring grain like for horses. And they are incredible guard dogs! We always knew if a mountain lion or yotes were near from their alarm call. Affectionate too, one was more high strung but still wanted attention. Only thing is they will stomp dogs with their front elbows. I was in the corral once with my ancient shepx and one was going to but both the llama and the dog heard me and stopped thankfully. I stopped taking her to the corral with me. I had incredible compost!! They always go in the same pile so it was easier than scattered horse/cow pies.

DaveGunter and bogieb like this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We're getting there.... Need to staple hardware cloth on floor and sink anchors in (ground to dry and hard right now), and build the chainlink run, and buy more locks for all the doors (coons and martens).

upload_2022-6-22_22-9-38.jpeg

Knothead, Ohio, DaveGunter and 6 others like this.