In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. jrider

jrider

My 70 meat birds arrived 1-2 days late and now half of them are dead. Looks like they were roughed up too...poor little fellas. The hatchery is sending out more free of charge but this throws off my schedule and calls for an added slaughter day

Attached Files:

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

JackHammer - Which one is the speckled Sussex?

Chazsbetterhalf and JackHammer like this.
  3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

That’s not well... that box does look pretty rough.... Glad they are making up for the dead ones....

4. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice setup JackHammer! The reflective tape on the auto door is a great idea!

jrider - that sucks you lost so many and it'll screw up your dates. The USPS isn't what it used to be.

I have real concerns for the 5 ducklings i have coming and the only shipping option was USPS Express. I've never ordered online, so do they send some sort of heat pack in the box? How do they stay warm?

5. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Great to hear and goes along with much of what I read. They are on my list to get, I have room for maybe 2 more birds and they are for sure ones I am trying to find.

Chazsbetterhalf and JackHammer like this.
  6. JackHammer

JackHammer

What else is on your list?

Chazsbetterhalf and ReelFaster like this.
  7. JackHammer

JackHammer

They were in the very corner of one picture. I am not sure how anyone saw them.

20210322_143143.jpg 20210322_143141.jpg

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I find people on here go over pictures very carefully. Where else can you see into a person's life with permission? I enjoy seeing the different climates and geography of all the places different than ours.

9. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Well the kids always love the easter eggers, because of the colored eggs. But one I have isn't as friendly as my Buffs and Plymouth rock. I know all chickens are individuals. She's my son's and he named her Dash (from incredibles), she is quick and really jumpy, and man can she peck when hand feeding her.

Am always looking into the docile & friendly pet types BUT can that lay lots of eggs and are fairly quiet. I Love the Barred/Plymouth Rocks. Guy locally was selling Sapphire Gem Blue Rocks, was beautiful blue/grey color but just wasn't ready to pull the trigger as apparently I have to seperate them first for disease and get them use to the flock.

I love the Speckled Sussex, just beautiful looking bird and fits all the criteria. I've found chicks, but not ready for that, also a guy was selling about 2hrs north of me but not sure wanna drive 4hrs round trip for a chicken, lol!

Chvymn99 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Well said! I am always looking at things in the background............

11. jrider

jrider

The chicks just rely on body heat this time of year- shipped to NJ at least. They usually arrive within 48 hours of hatching and can make that trek without issue this time of year

Chvymn99 and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. JackHammer

JackHammer

The reflective tape works really well. I just got some cheap 3M tape. Maybe cost a buck or 2. It's great so I can see when the door is down with a flashlight, rather than walking all the way out.
    20210322_143233.jpg 20210322_143216.jpg

13. JackHammer

JackHammer

I had a sapphire something. It was from Hoover's hatchery rare mystery box. She was a nice bird but she had floaters in her eggs and we didn't eat them so I processed her one meatbird day. Her name was Purple because she was... purple.

If you are close to northern Ohio, I would be happy to give you a Sussex.

Look into the salmon favorelles. They are super fun chickens. The only thing is that they are easy targets for predators, mine didn't last a season. If you have a good fence, those would be fun. I think they also lay pink eggs.

Chocolate Marans may be good too. They lay dark chocolate eggs but I am not sure how there personalities are.

Chazsbetterhalf and ReelFaster like this.
  14. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thank you, I appreciate that :handshake: but I am good ways away from you

I heard about the Chocolate Marans, someone was selling those too recently. I've been waiting till the weather breaks officially so I can separate her and keep her outside at night to roost.

I will certainly check out the favorelles, never heard of them but just read up and they are def up my alley, thanks!

15. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Greenhouse project finished today.

20210322_161735.jpg

16. Well Seasoned

Certainly not here! If they need 85°-90° F at 2 days old. That is my worry......

17. JackHammer

JackHammer

If the post office delivers on schedule(2 days), you are usually ok. That is why they have chick minimums. Last year, I got a call a day late and had to pick up a box of 15 dead chicks. The hatchery did send out a new box though.

18. Well Seasoned

Very nice! I'm guessing it was a kit of some sort?

Could you measure the temps inside vs out since our climate are similar in the coming days? I'm curious.....

Ive been looking into geo-thermal for a green house.

19. Well Seasoned

Well, I'll stay on top of it then. Giving my postmaster a ring as well. They hatch week of April 5th

20. jrider

jrider

It’s been my worry too. This is the first year it’s been an issue and I attribute that to how long they took to get here

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.