In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

2. jrider

jrider

6 pigs chilling overnight to be butchered tomorrow morning.

Attached Files:

FatBoy85, mat60, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  3. Midwinter

Midwinter

4. bogieb

bogieb

:rofl: :lol: Surprise ending if you aren't paying close attention (or have a lot of experience identifying)

5. savemoney

savemoney

Second life for a used toilet seat!
    [​IMG]

6. Knothead

Knothead

Chicken house or Out house....you make the call? :D

7. jrider

jrider

Today was time to take care of the beef.

Attached Files:

PA Mountain Man, Thor, mat60 and 7 others like this.
  8. jrider

jrider

Freezer is full!

Attached Files:

Thor, mat60, Winston and 7 others like this.
  9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Trying to start figuring out Chicken additions this year.... I know I want a few more egg layers... but trying to decide if I want to do more meat birds... :sherlock:

10. jrider

jrider

The answer is obviously yes!

11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:rofl: :lol:.... Actually in all reality... They were just time consuming in the morning and evening... But not over bearing... Plus the two birds I've eatin' so far have been really good. :dex:... but If I do them again... I'll do them a few weeks earlier... As the 4th of July weekend was a hot sucker to slaughter...

12. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Mrs DG got an incubator for Christmas, she's hoping to do a unit with her 4th graders, going to try some of our own eggs, I'm thinking at least some of them will end up part of our flock.

We are still getting 3-4 eggs a day from 10 hens.

13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Mine are in refeathering mode... haven't had a egg since mid December... But traditionally will lose egg production from December to First of February... I've heard it was due to daylight hours... But I also don't give extra light, just let them be natural....

14. jrider

jrider

I do 2 batches and I try my best to avoid the heat of summer because they seem to have health issues on those hot days especially if they are in their last week or so.

15. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Awesome work there Marvin very impressive

Just getting into the Chicken cooping (is that even a word). I've always wanted to try it and kids are super excited about it as well. Learning as much as I can...!

Marvin, bogieb, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  16. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Hey gang getting pretty close on picking up a few chickens as I put the finishing touches on the coop. This will be my first time, so I am absolutely clueless.

Wanted to pick everyone's brain to see what they use for bedding. So much information out there on the web, one person says one thing the other says another.

Also have read about mites, wanted some feedback on that. Appears it's just part of having chickens.

Thanks much in advance for any info :salute:

17. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Hay and pine shavings, a bale of each fills the 8x8 coop to about 5-6 inches, diatomaceous earth mixed into the feed and bedding will help keep the insects down.

What birds are you getting?...chicks or adults?

18. jrider

jrider

Stay away from cedar shaving especially when little.

19. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

If you have a dirt floor, all that poo, shavings, hay ect can be turned for a natural breakdown process, the stink doesn't get to bad and will actually produce a little heat in the winter.

If a wood floor or non dirt floor, having a "poop shelf" under their roosting bars helps incredibly with keeping the coop fresher and cleaner. If they have a run, they will spend the entire day in it, but while in the coop, most of that time is for laying and sleeping at night. 95% of the poo in the coop happens during the sleeping hours. Putting a layer of bedding from the coop floor on the poop shelf keeps it from sticking, after a week or so, remove for compost, replace with more shavings from the floor.

Having a crate or an area you can separate a chicken from the others during injuries or illness ect is a good idea. Accidents happen, whether a door blows shut on a toe, or a pecking order leads to bleeding, then turns into a feeding frenzy of blood (chickens can be piranhas) having some blue-coat on hand will be helpful.

Natural apple cider vinegar, 1 TBSP per gallon of fresh water every so often keeps them healthy imo.

You shouldn't get super cold at winter, but keeping the wide end of a 2x4 so they can roost flat footed sitting over their feet with their feathery warm bodies can keep any frost bite at bay.

Used egg shells can be recycled by crushing them & adding to their feed or tossed in the run or coop to keep their calcium up to make healthy shells or oyster shells can be bought at TSC or your local feed store. This will also help prevent them from eating their own eggs, which can be a tough habit to break. More on that later.....

I'll be adding some more pullets this spring along with a few layer ducks. I can't wait!

20. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Thanks for the info! Aligns with what exactly I've been reading. I plan on using pine shaving and have DE to mix in.

I will be getting adults to start with. Couple of farms in my local area have some barred rocks, easter eggers, jersey giants, and a few other breeds.

BCB and Chvymn99 like this.