In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Marvin

Marvin

Thank you!

Midwinter, Chaz, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I definitely recommend building a "poop shelf" under those roosting bars. 97% of thr poo happens there and will make cleanup a breeze!

3. BCB

BCB

Backyard Chicken and Biscuits....mmmm mmmm mmmm

115794049_10221245454179667_5816330483431582205_n.jpg

4. BCB

BCB

Fantastic job Marvin!

Chaz, Midwinter, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin

Thats a good idea! The shavings are about 8 inches deep. I was watching a video from Carolina Coops (where I got the build idea) and they recommend using hemp as bedding and piling it deep. Apparently you only have to clean it about once or twice per year as long as you occasionally stir the bedding around. They claim the poop gets dried out by the time it reaches the floor using this method and makes for simple cleanup. We will see how it goes.

Chaz, Midwinter, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin

Thanks!

7. Well Seasoned

Yes and no. I'm my experience, a dirt floor is best for the deep litter method from what I researched, but my coops floor is plywood with linoleum. The poo has alot of moisture as does the chickens breath, a bad mix during the winter and the leading cause of frostbite. The poo has ALOT of ammonia in it and can overwhelm the birds respiratory system, especially in non freezing months.

With my poop shelf, I layer wood shavings and straw, clean it off every 2 weeks into a bin which goes into the compost pile. Replace with what's on the coop floor onto the shelf.

8. Marvin

Marvin

Thanks for the info :thumbs:
    I am gonna steal your approach. I hope you don't mind :emb:

9. Well Seasoned

I was helped tremendously in my early stages of chickenhood.... glad to pass it along brother!

10. Well Seasoned

One more tip, at least up here in NH it gets COLD!

A wider roost is beneficial, like a 2x4 with the larger end flat for a good roost in the cold. The chickens will be able to flatten their feet on it and cover their feet with their bodies to keep them warm and frost bite free.

11. jrider

jrider

5 people, 68 chickens, 3.5 hours. Will weigh and prepare for freezer tonight

Attached Files:

JackHammer, Chaz, Midwinter and 7 others like this.
  12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Now thats an assembly line... Nice .... :handshake: .... You've got a system with 68 birds... How much feed? Chicken tractor or 3?

13. jrider

jrider

Here’s the weight of each chicken. A little smaller than I had hoped but the price of $1.89 per pound is pretty good so I’m happy. This was done with 3 neighbors and we each tried a different method of feeding. Steve did feed on all of the time, Jay tried feed on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours, and I did feed on 24/7 but also had a light in their coop each night. The last neighbor, this was her first time so she was just trying to figure things out. My birds were the biggest.

Attached Files:

Chaz, bogieb, Chazsbetterhalf and 5 others like this.
  14. dahmer

dahmer

For some reason the new Lt. Brahma pullets seem to think they can get in thru the window at roost time.
    679B0861-31B2-400C-A429-C8CBD7028FEC.jpeg

15. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

It was cool enough this morning. The Grasshoppers weren’t moving real fast. A nice treat for them...

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice treats

17. Well Seasoned

They are so fun to watch!

18. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I started out this spring with 16 chickens. Wouldn't you know, I ended up with 7 roosters. My wife was dead set against culling them. That's the reality of having chickens though, you've got to deal with the males one way or another. I guess that thought never occurred to her after all these years of having quails and finally this year switching to chickens. Regardless, I actually found a home for all but one rooster, on a farm where eventually they'll be culled. Nice farm life for them in the meantime dodging oxen and draught horses all day. I ended up keeping one rooster all summer. Finally my wife agreed this past week that it was time to dispatch him. The crowing became enough for her (and our next door neighbors too). He's been getting aggressive with the hens, going after me every time I feed the birds and generally strutting around like he's king you-know-what. Being well... a rooster. I took care of him this morning and hung him up to bleed out while I worked on our rabbit hutch...then forgot all about him all day until just now. Crap. What a waste. I'm sure if he is still hanging there when I get home later tonight he's been picked on by all sorts of bugs and critters. How absolutely stupid of me to forget about the rooster hanging out behind my wood shed. Ugh. Oh well, live and learn.

19. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I’d feed him to the others they’ll eat the bugs too.

20. JackHammer

JackHammer

I had 2 leghorn roosters that crowed all the time! They were the first to go. Then I had a silver laced wyandotte that ran at my legs. I would have kept him but he got eaten by a raccoon. Since then, I have had a true blue that only crows once a day in the morning, and 2 bramahs that make a little crow, but it is very mild. I would suggest looking into those breeds. ... And they are also cool birds too.