In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Flamestead

Flamestead

I’m loving the pics of your pole barn in use. So nice to have equipment out of the weather! Keep an eye out and maybe you’ll find a good deal on a box blade. That’s the type of thing I don’t mind buying used- pretty easy to see all its faults, unlike with an engine or precision tool.

savemoney, Chaz, DaveGunter and 3 others like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

So glad it's mostly done and keeping the weather out! So far it's shedding snow nicely, but then again it's not consistently super cold yet. There's decent pitch, but I think once it's real cold, the screws will lock that snow up there with the same temps in and out, but we'll see. I popped a wood stove in it, back right corner but my neighbors tractor is in there, bigger than mine, and I need to finish the pipe.

I'm using tarp doors for now since the snow blows that direction this time of year. How's things over your way?

3. Well Seasoned

That stay mat works well. At least that's what it called up here.

4. Flamestead

Flamestead

We are well, but family has had issues that have kept us hopping. I had to drop my sugarhouse build and cancel a barnyard renovation project because I’m going to Maine each weekend, but things are leveling out a bit now. The current big project underway here is having the Mrs’ company mark trees for a logging job this winter. The forester was pleased with what he saw for sawlogs his first day out, and I expect I’ll keep a bunch of the firewood that comes off. I should end up with a much better network of tractor roads, too.

5. Well Seasoned

Sorry to hear about the family issues, but glad it's leveling out like u said. I hope the ground freezes up hard soon so you can get everything logged. I'm pretty good buds with a logger around here and he says the ground is tough to work with, but just a matter of time.

bogieb, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 3 others like this.
  6. Flamestead

Flamestead

Thanks. We are pretty rocky and gravely soils, and everything is hillside, so there won’t be much for access issues. I’m worried they are saving ours to do when it is too wet elsewhere. They move the wood on forwarders, which will help keep it from getting too messy. But like you say, a good hard freeze would be ideal. No real snow here yet - Sunday’s storm was an inch of snow and then mostly rain.

Coming back to driveway maintenance, our driveway is a town road, up past the house to the barns. Graded yearly, plowed and sanded every storm. I feel guilty at times, but not bad enough yet to ask the town to “throw the road up”.

7. savemoney

savemoney

Oh, I am very very proud. The entire project is his design. Mostly he builds projects like school, gyms, hotels etc. All that sure has taught him alot. He had it all figured out, right to the nails etc. He subcontracted what he couldn't do and the rest he has his friends working with him. He cleared the lot and cut out the 1000 ft long road leading to his building sight. He subed out the septic, well, electric poles and lines, plus all the digging and foundation work. He ordered all his wood supplies, windows and doors and had that all delivered. He rented machine to help place the trusses and move the plywood. The building of the house, floors, placement of windows and doors etc. he did with whatever extra hands he could get. His wife contributed with her ideas, go and get, and keeping the crews fed. He bought a John Deer to help out. He also picked up a truck and plow. I have to say he paid attention when it came to how to. He also can do finish carpentry. Just amazing to see it come along so fast and so good. He isn't going elaborate, but is using all the right materials, and conforming to codes. The plumbing and electrical will be done by licensed professionals.
    Thanks for the comments.

8. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Bad news for chickens in our area last night. Minks killed my entire flock and the neighbors entire flock last night. Over 50 chicks killed in one night. WE never had any Mink trouble for the last 10-15 years. Yes we would loose 1 or 2 chicks per year to coons, possums, foxes, etc. I don't know if its possible to stop a Mink. The neighbor across the street recently put in a pond and I think this brought the Minks into our area. Guess I'll be changing my Avatar. It was a really gruesome sight because Minks don't eat them they just break their necks and move on to the next one that moves.

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Can't like this. I know the feeling about loosing a whole flock. Had a neighbor's dog kill one on Sunday morning a few years back, he came back the next day, dug under fence and killed 22 Jen's and the rooster. I had some smaller chicks in another pen. He came for them, but I was home, heard him, now he's sleeping next to chickens.

Eckie, Winston, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  10. Well Seasoned

Ohhh, that sucks! I've heard that minks can squeeze through some small areas. I know there are quite a few hatcheries that one can purchase some pullets, meyer hatchery comes to mind.

Winston, Chaz, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  11. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

That price for a truckload of gravel sounds better than what I pay. This load of 1-1/2 inch crushed stone was $425 from about 10 miles away.

There are 6 others on this part of the road that is private so hopefully they would be willing to kick in some $ when the time comes.

12. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Dang that stinks big time... time to go on the proactive side... I’d be killing some minks... :rootintootin:at least trying... the three S’s comes to mind....:D

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Mink areA notoriously hard animal to shoot. Hard to see them, I would consider contacting a local game warden and see if they have a good old fashion trapper on file.

14. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Small Havahart trap, and a bucket of water,

15. Blstr88

Blstr88

That sucks! Imagine being that last chicken...watching your friends get their heads bit off one at a time all night long until you're the only one on the roost...knowing what comes next in vivid detail!

Ah the life of a chicken is a hard one indeed...

Chaz, savemoney, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  16. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Sorry to hear that.

Chaz, savemoney, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  17. Well Seasoned

Did the mink come out during the night? I put 2 Swann sensors on either ends of the coop. Anything lurking in the dark will be known inside the house. These all coincide with the driveway alarms.

18. savemoney

savemoney

had something killing my birds off a few times. I would find them in their fenced in areas with their heads missing. Only my laying hens which I kept locked in their area that had just the half inch wire screening remained safe. When they were gone, that was the end of it all. Wife wanted no more of the carnage.

19. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Don't know. But from what I've read Minks can come day or night and are very fast and won't stop until they kill everything.

20. Well Seasoned

How's everyone's chickens and livestock doing in this cold snap? My girls were frosty but doing well. Coop got down to about 15°F when we had -5°F and 30mph gusts! They are resilient creatures!