In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

We got some new chicks last year and one of them turned out to be a Guinea rooster. Rural King had all their chicks mixed up. Let me tell ya, that is the wildest bird I've ever seen. Ten times noisier than a rooster. He is so ugly and noisy he makes a great conversation when people come over.

2. bogieb

bogieb

I've only seen the Guinea hens, not roosters. I don't remember them being ugly - although they do look different. Yeah, I realized that I neglected to mention that they are noisy, especially at dusk and if they catch their reflection in a mirror or window.

One of the neighbor's hens really liked an old motorcycle in the yard. She would sit on the seat and look at herself in the mirror. When we gave the bike to someone, the ex loaded it into a trailer and the hen jumped on - rode that thing all the way up the hill (1/4 mile) before she decided to jump off and come back "home".

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

You will want a lot of wood chips and saw dust Well Seasoned as putting that down collects feces and compost great. But where could you get access to such stuff.. You might need an FHC GTG.:D:rofl: :lol:

4. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I’ll second that! Twice a year I throw in a good layer makes for nice stuff!

5. fishingpol

fishingpol

This one happened in MA the other night. We are not really in bear country but I guess they wander when foraging. A large male black bear was around that area the day before.

Bears Break Into Coop, Kill 7 Chickens

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Mmmm.... that would be a little hard to make bear proof....:bug:

7. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Plenty of chips will be great!

Looks like the nesting boxes were the weak point. I'm planning on adding some energy around the coop from either TSC or premier1supplies.

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Not hard a barking dog...a spotlight.. and 308

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

Barking dogs do not scare bears. At my other place, we had 3 large dogs (70-100 lbs) and routinely had a bear walk right past their pen, and I mean almost touching the chain link fence, as the 3 dogs were plastered against it going crazy barking. Now, if the dogs had been free to chase would the bear have been so sanguine? I don't know - it could have decided to flee or fight - just glad I never had to find out!

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

bogieb you probably know this.. black bears move incredibly fast. Even through thick brush. They are small in face and got a big back end, mini torpedoes. Unless protecting young they generally flee first. We had a mama out back for years. My old dogs chased her out of apple trees into woods, more than weekly during apple season.. Except at night. It was almost a game to them..

11. Well Seasoned

Well, the girls are moving out to the coop next weekend, temperature permitting. I have been weening them off the heat lamp the past week since their feathers are in. Although i am not planning on keeping any heat source in the coop next winter, i will have one safely at the ready for any night's that will be just to cold for them over the coming weeks while they are young.

I added a manual door for extra security, with the auto door behind it. I added latches for everything, along with small holding chains. I inspected all around the coop, which looks good and added a light and made their ramp. Lastly, i added the chain to hang their water and feed.

Their run will be made after the ground thaws and i can dig the hardware cloth down into the ground a foot or so, but we have time since the girls won't be free ranging without supervision any time soon.

I will likely run a whole piece of trim at the hinges of the door instead of the rig job i did, which is bothering me. :)

20180401_164021.jpg 20180401_164132.jpg

Here they are waiting on moving day next week.

20180401_102501.jpg

12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

13. Well Seasoned

Thanks Woody!

14. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Are those white or brown egg layers! Great job on the coup. I wish I had one just like it.

15. Well Seasoned

Lg to xlg brown. Thanks :yes:

16. Well Seasoned

Dawn insisted i insulate the floor, so i picked up some roxul, insulated it and closed it in. I also managed to finish the nesting boxes, which i squeezed in 5 with the plan of blocking them off until mid summer when i will leave probably 3 accessible.

Plan was to put the chicks out this weekend, but the low teens put that on hold until next weekend. They are pretty much feathered in, so another week can't hurt.

17. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Hot Chicks to move into new Condo!

18. Well Seasoned

:D

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Omelets at the least.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

20. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Looks great!!! They’ll be happy in the new home! My wife sent me this just now of ours. I’m thinking they went out then realized there was snow so they jumped up on the perch and are afraid to get down :picard: 90B9547B-FF95-4B8C-A507-141632E30211.jpeg