In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bogieb

bogieb

If the raptures are spotted - I'm in trouble. If raptors are spotted, the hens are in trouble :D

2. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Awesome coop, really well done.

Just a word of experience, hopefully save you a little heart break in the near future, free ranging those chickens near those woods will result in total loss to predators, and the roosters will be lost, too. Please consider a chicken tractor or some sort of pen. A tractor will allow them the same benefits as free ranging, and greatly increase their lives. It does require a bit more effort, as the tractor will need to be moved daily.

Sorry for the downer post, I lost 5 batches of chickens before I threw in the towel. Only the first batch was free ranged, and they didn't last long. The neighbor also didn't appreciate the high nitrogen fertilizer they deposited on their deck.

3. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

It is a downer to read this, but the sound advice is appreciated. In the time i have until they are out there ill certainly do more research. I can certainly understand the wood line being an issue as predators can hide there. I guess I'll start looking into a run as well. .

“It is better to have and not need than to need and not have”.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Buddy has 5 foot high walls that are portable so he moves it around yard. Ill take pics next time I'm there.. Plus maple will need to herd them.;)

5. Well Seasoned

Hmmm, you can ask Dawn since thats her favorite one. :heidi:

6. Well Seasoned

:rofl: :lol: oops!

I'll keep ya in my prayers, lol ;)

7. Well Seasoned

Been introducing the dogs slowly. The E collar will be at the ready. So far she drools and shakes at the sight of them.

Bird dog + birds = :stirpot:

Then Dawn will :heidi: me! o_O

8. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Truer words never spoken!

I was very sad every time I couldn't outsmart the predators.

I also lost a batch of cotournix (sp?) quail (no good, they wouldn't go in the coop, even to get out of the rain), and two litters of bunnies. The last time, the mother rabbit survived. I let her out, and she lived to a ripe old age living wild under the woodshed. "Orange."

When the second litter of bunnies got it, I'd had it, and I ripped the run down so I wouldn't be tempted to get more creatures to be slaughtered.

My run was 8' high chain link fence, with the bottom 18" buried, 2' of chicken wire around the entire perimeter, and top covered with plastic deer netting to keep raptors out.

I suspected gray fox, racoon, and weasels, all got meals as I learned each lesson. Ultimately, it was the weasels that I couldn't keep out. They must be able to squeeze through tiny holes. And, I was a teenager, so occasionally I'd forget to close the coop doors at night. It only took one time. The predators must visit every night to test the defenses.

My coop was right on the edge of the woods, too.

I hope my experience can help make yours a happier one.

9. bogieb

bogieb

Fishers is what Well Seasoned really needs to look out for. They are clever and able to manipulate stuff (despite not having "hands" like raccoons). They are also very determined. Hade a neighbor at the old place that couldn't figure out how she was losing chickens kept in a building - and some were killed and just left there. Finally figured out it was a fisher opening the window to get in, then to get out - and the window was 6' or so off the ground. Yeah, foxes, coyotes etc. will also test things, but the fishers are the worst (they are related to weasels and otters).

10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

If you got any game cameras... set them up for a bit to get a good feel for what’s going on in the dark hours... once you get your birds into the house...

11. Well Seasoned

Good advice. Can't wait to reverse sit on the toilet seat armed! Probably shoot right through the screen. :yes:

savemoney, Gasifier, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  12. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

13. Well Seasoned

14. bogieb

bogieb

Might think about getting some Guinea Hen chicks to go with the rest. they will aggressively guard their territory. They would actually chase our two husky mixes and lab mix around (and terrorize the cats). After a while they came to terms with the dogs and they would play tag, reversing who was chasing who for fun. Oh, and they weren't even our birds - they were the neighbor's :binoculars:.

15. Well Seasoned

Lol, ok! :yes:

16. bocefus78

bocefus78

Hawks took out dozens of my neighbors birds. There was no stopping it without a roof. No pew pew pewing birds of prey unfortunately.

It didn't help that he built the coop directly under one of their nests against my advice. Now he buys chicken at the store lol.

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Up here and hawks and eagles build nests around chicken coops. T posts holds coop, put fish line above with flags. You knew they weren't for stacking right:D:eek:

18. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

I think two years ago maybe three I put this together. 43F12BAE-0E22-4EF0-846B-6EDC6EC6FBC6.jpeg
    The run is 20x12 I think 5’ high and buried 2’ or so in the ground. It’s mesh all the way around even the top I just didn’t figure they’d last long in the open. Just some 2x4’s and wood fence posts. The coop is I think 7x7 and 8’ high built on skids. I went 7x7 to allow for over hang all the way around on the roof with 2 sheets of plywood I had. Couple storm windows in front, a full size man door on the side, a sliding trap door that operates from the main door by rope. I also put in two screened closeable vents near the top and insulated the whole thing. There’s 4 best boxes which are accessible through an outside trap door for egg collecting. It’s wired with a jam jar style light on a switch and also a receptacle for winter time heat/water warming. We’ve got 8 birds and they seem to enjoy it plus being tall enough to stand in makes cleaning and feeding easy.

19. Well Seasoned

20. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Thanks! :handshake: It ended up being much fancier than I started out to make it. Especially the siding to match the house :picard:I’ve got some aluminum to bend up to finish out the fascia and soffit areas, but :whistle: it’s on the back burner might just opt for some paint.
    I usually grow wheat, rye or oats and when it dries off I’ll cut it and bring it in loose with the grain still on the straw. I’ll toss a good wheel barrow load in the run every week or so it keeps the mud under control plus the chickens love having something to pick at. Yesterday when I took the picture is one of the first days with no snow so I hadn’t put any in yet since they will NOT go out in the snow! :rolleyes: