In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Chicken Coop Build, Chickens, Pond, Garden & Projects

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Last year’s baby… Probably within a month. I’m assuming that she’s the one bleeding as she lays the egg.

wildwest and Biddleman like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Well hi, can't say back to normal. The 5 remaining ones don't like to come out of the coop anymore, sad. Then add they're not fond of snow, so they've been inside the coop for weeks. I locked them out last Thurs, they made a few hours and rooster started calling pretty hard. All 5 of them facing the chicken wire that faces my back door lol.

I'm not sure what to do, a couple will be bare back at some point and husband does not want more. And the price from the breeder out here has almost doubled.

3. Biddleman

Biddleman

Last evening my younger hens and 2 of the older hens, decided to walk up a pine branch that over hangs my woodshed. Probably 30-40 feet off the ground.
    They must of liked the view because they decided to camp out there overnight. :loco: :crazy:

Hopefully it wont be a new trend. Crazy chickens.

Also my wife has discovered that you don't plant flowers with free rangers.:rofl: :lol:

4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Chickens lay according to hours of light and age, the light does not have to be sunlight no rooster required in fact the hen is less apt to get hurt. I had 5 black Jersey Giants and one of them started crowing on my birthday in 2008, freezer bird that same day.

5. jrider

jrider

We processed our meat birds (jumbo cornish cross) a couple of weeks ago. Five families go in on them. I start them for the first 3 weeks or so then each guy takes their share and we raise them separately before combining them all again come slaughter time. We ordered 140 and they shipped 146. We ended up with 125 making it to slaughter time 60 days after being hatched. I don't know what it was about these birds but they were the biggest we've ever had. We ended up with 8 birds weighing in at 9 pounds or more and they averaged 7.33 pounds each which was by far our best. They consumed just under 4,000 pounds of feed and after calculating for all expenses, ended up costing $1.97 a pound. That was the first time in the last 4 years we were under the $2 mark and they taste just as good as ever. Pictured is the fridge they stay in overnight until we cut and wrap.

Attached Files:

Chaz, metalcuttr, Chvymn99 and 8 others like this.
  6. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Will you grow more now that the harvest is done?

7. JD Guy

JD Guy

We miss having our own meat birds….store bought chicken just doesn’t even taste like chicken :emb:

metalcuttr, jrider, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Reynolds in IA just declared an emergency and will be culling thousands of chickens there. Meat chickens are too much for me to handle but holy cow what a smart move.

9. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I really miss having chickens as well for the eggs, they were just better!

Life just got really busy and seems I am the only one who ended up caring for them on a day to day basis. They don't require much care but they require some for sure.

Chaz, metalcuttr, JD Guy and 8 others like this.
  10. Biddleman

Biddleman

Next year I plan on raising some meat birds. Pretty sure not as many as jrider though. Maybe 50 or so. Figure a chicken dinner each week.

metalcuttr, jrider, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  11. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I've had 7 chick's hatch naturally under mama, lost 2 though. Mid 30's tonight is pretty cold so mama will hopefully keep them warm. I've painted the coop since I started this thread only a few weeks ago.

Bees are the next project, finished up the stand today and got my t posts in for the electric fence.

Screenshot_20240530_213005_Video Player.jpg

Dok440, EODMSgt, Chaz and 12 others like this.
  12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The coop looks good!

You've made alot of changes to your place since I was last there. :yes:

metalcuttr, Chvymn99, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  13. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Yes many changes!

metalcuttr, Chvymn99, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  14. jrider

jrider

We all do 1 round a year together so not until next spring.

15. jrider

jrider

I only take 25-30 each year but that's generally close to 200 pounds. It's plenty for my family of 4 but we also raise our own pork and beef.

Chaz, metalcuttr, Biddleman and 6 others like this.
  16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Honey bees and black bears are worse than brock brocks and black bears. Me hungry already me is.

Chaz, metalcuttr, Biddleman and 4 others like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:picard:Neighbors dog our chickens drama earlier tonight. Sucks for all of us and no good answers. Got loose and came for our chickens twice today. Husband on a fluke was home in the driveway with backhoe guy this morning. Dog stopped his bee line towards the run/coop by WWW's voice and ran home. 1st time he's been here since he killed all the others in Jan. so we thought it was an accident.

Tonight he was at our coop again, they were literally free ranging just 20 minutes earlier, but coop door and run door were open just 5 minutes before. And no, the run is not dog proof even when the door is closed, never intended to be, just a nice way to let them out all day while containing them with protection from hawks and eagles and simple reminder for our gun dog that is trained to hunt game birds just incase she gets too birdie on them. Nobody would have guessed this wild doggie would end up next to us, a few dogs in the neighborhood, they roam occasionally but don't kill chickens.

WWW went over and said if it happens again the dog will be gone.

Older neighbor, took in an abused woman and her dog, great neighbor for over a decade til now. She wants to work with me and my chickens to train him. Umm, heck no on my chickens but I will help her with her friendly dog. We both live out here in this odd "neighborhood" as well as we depend on eachother. I still have the Promise Keeper collar I bought in Jan., it's warm now so I can go outside. I can't handle him but I can help her teach him if she wants to learn-I did obedience classes eons ago but still remember. I'll offer some feathers from our run for aversion training but I need to figure out how to train him to not leave their property.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    Chaz, metalcuttr, JD Guy and 3 others like this.
  18. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I have already weighed in on this matter so WW knows my feelings on this.

Chaz, metalcuttr and wildwest like this.
  19. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I built a bunk house/small cabin through the woods on a path adjacent to our main cabin a few years ago. It is 10’ X 16’. It is a nice spot to hang out, have an happy hour, and/or read. During summer trips and during our hunting seasons we typically have someone sleeping out there. We had guest from Sweden stay out there one deer camp. He called it a “stuga” which means “small dwelling.”

IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg IMG_4110.jpeg IMG_4108.jpeg

20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Yes I remember. Your thoughts are the same as many/most.

Canadian border VT and Chaz like this.