In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cherry Down

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jan 18, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Mother Nature took the top off this last spring, I decided to drop it today.
     

    Attached Files:

    Gasifier, WeldrDave, gmule and 2 others like this.
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Looks a little punky in the pics.
    Still good wood?
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We had a few bad rounds, most of the rounds were good. That's that rot most of the Cherry have in this area.
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  4. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Good stuff, love the cherry smell. And usually spits nice
     
  5. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Mmmmmm Cherry, I love cherry wood. Takes me twice as long to split as other woods though because I have to smell every split......lol
     
    Gasifier, thewoodlands and swags like this.
  6. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We're loaded with downed Cherry, this is just a guess but I think we have 6-9 cord of Cherry, could be more.

    I always have three cord ready for each burning season, so I want to cut that much this spring, then another three cord before fall.
     
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Certified106 likes this.
  7. WeldrDave

    WeldrDave Military Outpost Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,182
    Likes Received:
    56,140
    Location:
    The Communist Socialist Republic of New Jersey
    Very Nice score!
     
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Good work. I am going to see if I can find a cord or two of some higher BTU wood for the coldest days next winter. I need to get finding it so I can have it stacked in the spring to dry. Have to stay away from Oak.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  9. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Do you have some Oak on your property?
     
  10. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    No. Not that I have seen yet. There are some small areas I have not looked at every tree yet. But I have not seen Oak yet.
     
  11. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll take one more weekend of cutting then Mother Nature can cut loose with the snow.

    One the way out today I noticed two Yellow Birch (just a guess until I get closer) that are topped off from the ice storm, if I can get those blocked up I'll be happy.

    If Mother Nature gives me more time, I'll continue to cut.
     
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Good work. I tried to walk through the woods with the dogs the other day. Was not even worth it. Literally painful to try to walk in. Just when you thought you would stay on top of the ice you would crash through. It would push against your feet/ankles. Just dangerous to walk in. Turned around and left and took them walking on the road. No cutting for me here until something changes with this ice.:mad::(
     
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The areas I worked today get more sun so it softened it up, the Cherry was at the base of a west facing hill (not much snow because of the sun) the area the Maple was in gets plenty of sun so that area is good to work in.

    It is a pain if your walking for any distance, cement hard.