In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chainsaw Rebuild

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by jfhrtn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Doing all this I would go ahead and do the seals. There cheap and easy to get on a clam shell.

94BULLITT likes this.
  2. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea maybe on those the seal and bearing is all one unit?

And like others said , sometimes a dealer or other online source for parts is cheaper than baileys.

jfhrtn and 94BULLITT like this.
  4. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

They are listing the cover on ebay to fit a a 340, 345, and 350.

Husqvarna OEM Top Cover fits 340 345 350 503910501

The cranks seals were leaking on mine. I'm not sure if it a problem with these saws or not. My saw had been sitting a few years so that did not do them any good. You can try it with out doing the crank seals. They are easy to replace later. The dealer only sell the seals already on the bearings. I got mine off ebay. CRANKSHAFT OIL SEALS FOR HUSQVARNA 340 345 346 346XP 350 351 353 503 93 23-02 | eBay

The impulse is the what lets the carb have vacuum to work. The impulse passage is in a different location on a 346 cylinder.

dougand3, jfhrtn and clemsonfor like this.
  5. dougand3

dougand3

Impulse is the little hole or tube on lower cylinder that routes to little hole on the carb to vibrate the fuel pump diaphragm. Some carbs are flat against intake, some carbs have a tube. There will be a tube within the intake setup.

6. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the bottom end of the saw to the mechanic to make sure there is no damage to it. If there isn't any damage I will be making an order for the rebuild for sure. Trying to get a cart together on Bailey's to see what the price will be versus the shop price.

On the 346 cylinder I would have to drill a hole for the impulse? Would the impulse setup be different between the 340 and the 346 cylinder?

T2 Tappin'

clemsonfor and 94BULLITT like this.
  7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

clemsonfor, jfhrtn and dougand3 like this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Easy? In order to replace these, you need to remove the crank(and flywheel). I'd guess once you do the rebuild, you wouldn't want to dig that deep later. I'd say use what you have but, you had that separate metal piece pressed down in the "top":
    [​IMG]
    That impression as seen on the right side bearing has screwed the pooch. If it weren't for that, you could simply smear a nice layer of sealant around the bearing seal and be good. In this case, I'd really recommend replacing them before assembly. Save yourself a buck and just get seals. Your bearings are probably fine.
    Oh yeah, might not want to use your credit card w/ Baileys...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

94BULLITT that link is headed over to a lauson saw thread.

The Wood Wolverine very true. Once I do the rebuild I really wouldn't want dig this far back into the engine again for a while. Do you know of a reputable online dealer that I could use a card with? Is Bailey's not too trustworthy with cards?

Thank y'all for pointing out the crank seals

T2 Tappin'

10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Try the link again. It works for me.

clemsonfor likes this.
  11. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Also I meant to ask are there any slightly larger saw dogs to replace the stock ones on the 340? Wouldn't mind having a little extra bite down there. I've seen plenty for the larger Huskies

T2 Tappin'

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Baileys had a major credit card data breech in the past. Lots of guys had there cards compromised. That ebay guy has almost 4000 feedbacks, all 100% positive and he's about $175, keep that number in mind.
    Here is a very trustworthy guy I know from a different saw forum.

Hills Ace Hardware and Outdoor Power
    186 West Athens Street: Winder, GA. 30680
    770 - 867 - 3925
    275 Highway 78: Loganville, GA. 30052
    770 - 466 - 1991
    Sales and Service

94BULLIT, link is dead for me too.

concretegrazer and dougand3 like this.
  13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Your right he is going to need seals.

These are probably the easier saw to work on. You could pull the flywheel, muffler (2 bolts, or 4 with the 346 bracket), carb( 2 bolts), then the cylinder (4 bolts) and the riser (4 bolts). When I tore mine down I literally had the cylinder off in 5 minutes and did not use power tools.

dougand3 likes this.
  14. dougand3

dougand3

Agree those semi-circ shims have buggered up the seal. Now, if it was one of my beater saws that I didn't really care if it blew up....I might clean seal with carb cleaner, layer seal depressions thick with Motoseal for 24h, then re-assemble. But get new ones if you want to be sure.
    I'm thinking those shims must be the bottom of the transfer column and aide in moving gaseous fuel properly.

15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Also when you put the cylinder on be sure you have the intake boot on the cylinder. You can't get it on later.

16. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The link works for me?

Attached Files:

17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I agree with you totally. But not for someone who doesn't have experience with anaerobic sealer.

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have actually read posts by that guy over there and I am not "over there" that often!

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

20. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

The Wood Wolverine I'll keep that guy in mind on eBay. I'm a few hours north of GA in East NC haha. If you live in GA I hope y'all make it through the weather today unscaved. Thank you for the link to his shop

dougand3 I think the semi circle shims are there to make a complete half circle on the bottom of the cylinder head. A better description is eluding my mind at the moment. I'll post another below of where they fit in the bottom of the cylinder. It has slots meant for them to go in. I think your right on moving the gases.

94BULLITT Thanks for pointing that out. I learned the hard way to get those intake boots on first when I took the carb off my Suzuki 250 four-wheeler and tried to put back together with the boots going in last. Just wouldn't happen. Same thing when I cleaned the carb on one of my 142's. They are tricky little buggers.

I will get new seals also. I would rather go ahead and replace them now then do it later. I am still learning on the sealer for sure.

T2 Tappin'

94BULLITT likes this.