In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chainsaw Rebuild

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by jfhrtn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Good to know. Don't use it on plastic.

jfhrtn and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  2. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Just got off work but I appreciate it. Purple power works wonder on grease/oil even mixed 1 part purple power to 1 part water.

I got a couple pics of the mounting holes on the head and the body. Just let me know if you need any further pics.

I was surprised at first there was a plastic bottom end on it. I was thinking there would have been some metal in the bottom end.

I appreciate the tip on the Loctite 518. Maybe some acetone to prep? Not sure if acetone is friendly with the plastic.

Broke down and picked up a new saw this morning on the way to work so I'll have something a lil bigger. Didn't want to do all the firewood work with the 142. Going back to my local shop first thing Monday morning to have the crankcase area and the counter weights on the crankshaft checked out to make sure there is no damage. Just want to make sure I'm going to be building up on a good base. The mechanic and shop owner said they would check the 340 out for free since it would just a "look over". Also might be cause I bought a 562xp from them this morning too. Either I've always been impressed by the customer service they have. If anyone is ever in East NC doing work and their saw breaks Strickland's in Nashville, NC is a great place to stop by.

They also said they could order a 345 top end for $134 if there is no damage to the bottom end on my 340. What do y'all think on the 345 top end and the price?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T2 Tappin'

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Skip the 340/345 top. At the very least do a new edition 350 piston cyl kit. You will be very pleased with just that conversion. It's the closed port style cyl. Clamshell open port 40/45 won't impress. Used cylinders are a plenty and Meteor pistons have a great reputation (I've used/use many) and run $40 brandy new.
    Plus 1 on the purple power. Use it a lot.

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Oh yeah, congrats on the 562. Excellent choice. Pics or it didn't happen. Lol.

concretegrazer, jfhrtn and clemsonfor like this.
  5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Husqvarna 350 Piston and Cylinder 5372226 | eBay
    Something like this would get ya going. All you'd need is the riser and a base gasket.
    And the reason I say don't go w/ that kit, I've sold a few 350's. One was a very clean, near mint and I got $200 for the complete all oem saw. $130+ should be 346 territory. A somewhat local friend from a saw forum can get me the 346 piston&cylinder kit for right around $90.

jfhrtn and clemsonfor like this.
  6. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I'll see what the price at the shop is on the 350 top end. Bearing cup, piston, and cylinder right? Plus gaskets of course.

I'd be better off getting the 350 top end rather than the 346xp though right?

The new toy: (have to excuse the messy garage floor) been rather damp here in East NC and I've been tracking stuff in all week

[​IMG]

T2 Tappin'

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Nice saw ! All I have is a shed. And that looks way cleaner than my shed

concretegrazer and jfhrtn like this.
  8. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I appreciate it. Haven't had time to mess with it but hopefully will this weekend. I hope to get this hybrid 340/350 up and going as it's middle sibling. If there is no damage to the bottom end when the mechanic looks at it I'm really looking forward to the build. I dont see any damage on the bottom end but my eyes are from expert eyes

T2 Tappin'

concretegrazer likes this.
  9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Not in my opinion, 346 is best. As eluded too earlier, make sure to not get the old edition (42mm) cyl. That's the one that the riser blocks the ports on.
    Here is an all in one conversion kit @ a decent price considering it includes everything you need.
    Jonsered 2140 2145 conversion to 346xp cylinder Husqvarna 345 chainsaw OEM | eBay
    Just stumbled on it looking for hot deals on parts. He even trimmed the muffler bracket.

346kit.jpeg

10. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Thank you for that link. I wonder what kind of kit? Like Meteor etc.

With ordering from Bailey's I'd have to order gaskets, decompression button, screws, muffler bracket, intake boot, and clamp separate from the C&P/riser right?

T2 Tappin'

11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Says OEM. And yep.

jfhrtn, clemsonfor and concretegrazer like this.
  12. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Oooooh... shiney. :saw:

13. dougand3

dougand3

You describe a 1990s and newer Poulan. A metal clamshell pan between ribbed plastic chassis and cylinder. The 340 looks like a stronger setup.
    Thanks for measurements. I'm gonna figure out how to put a 345 or 346xp into a Poulan chassis. Be lots of jury rigging going on...if you hear screams, that'll be the jury getting arm twisted.

14. Kimberly

Kimberly

Now that is a nice long bar you have there.

jfhrtn, MasterMech and clemsonfor like this.
  15. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

@thewoodwolverine Thank you for that video. Was definitely helpful describing what was involved with the 346 conversion.

concretegrazer hoping to get a break in the weather so I break it in and take some of that shininess away haha

dougand3 I have a Poulan that I use for clearing river banks so I don't get any dirt in the Huskies. I have got to give it a tune up pretty badly. Carb needs adjusting and needs a new spark plug. That should be interesting build with the Poulan conversion though. Looking forward to the build thread No problem on the measurements. Glad to be able to help out

Kimberly haha thank you. Didn't see the need for a 28"er a I opted for the 24"

T2 Tappin'

16. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Go with an OEM 346NE kit. They are $105. I got the one without the compression release hole for my 350. I did a muffler mod to it and a 357 carb/ intake and it nasty.

17. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

18. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Does Bailey's carry the one without the compression release? Thank you for that link also 94BULLITT

Also would I need to order a 346 top cover or would the the 340 top cover work?

T2 Tappin'

clemsonfor and 94BULLITT like this.
  19. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Bailey's used to but they don't now. Parts are cheaper at a dealer. I tried looking for my receipt where I bought the p/c for the part number but I can't find it. I'll look on the box for the part number in the morning.

A 346 top cover is different. It snaps on where yours screws on.

Do you have a set of ring compressors?

OEM Ring Compressor & Piston Stop Tool Husqvarna US SELLER | eBay

You will as need to put a notch in the riser for the impulse.

While you have it apart now would be a good time to do crank seals.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

clemsonfor and jfhrtn like this.
  20. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I appreciate you looking for the part number. I thought the 346 to cover looked a little different. Would the 340 top cover still work with the 346 top end or would it be too tall? I have been using a ring compressor I've made out of some spare plastic I had but when order parts I'll have a set of ring compressors on the way too. Do you think the crank seals should be replaced? Also what do you mean by the impulse?

T2 Tappin'