In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chainsaw Rebuild

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by jfhrtn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I had the same thoughts. You don't want any alcohol in that stuff. Seafoam and a few others are really the only thing you want in the fuel

jfhrtn likes this.
  2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I personally would run 40:1 or more oil 50 is pretty lean

3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Agree'd. All my saws, ported and stock get 40:1.

MasterMech, clemsonfor and jfhrtn like this.
  4. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I run outboards at 50:1 but I know that is a whole different animal. I most certainly can start mixing 40:1 for the saws no problem. I couldn't find that Lucas had any solvents or alcohol in it. Have y'all found there to be any solvents in the Lucas product? If so it will stop being used immediately and just used in my truck. In the summer I mix my fuel rich. Aim for 35:1 as I know if I'm hot the equipment is suffering too.

I know any solvent based products like b-12 chemtool are a big no no but b-12 chemtool makes for a great product to clean bolts with caked up grease and road grime on the surface. That stuff will strip paint though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

They claim no solvent or alcohol. Don't know if I'd use it in a saw or not.

http://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Fuel-Treatment.pdf

clemsonfor likes this.
  6. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Would be interesting to see someone do a study on it in 2 stroke engines. Like a seasonly year down after using it or a time lapse. I would hate to use something that was harmful to the fuel lines, diaphragms, or seals

clemsonfor likes this.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Unless it has oil injection I run all my OMC premix at 40:1. That's what it was before they went to 50:1. Remember that short time OMC said 100:1 and they had many engines burn up:eek:. They then went back to the 50:1 recommendation. I know the oil injection cuts back to something similar to 100:1 at idle.

jfhrtn likes this.
  8. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I remember the 100:1 recommendation days haha. I remember a local marine engine shop staying packed with locked up outboards too. You can't even smell the engine running at 100:1 and I got to be able to smell it if it's running. Sometimes my fuel for the outboards can be a bit on the rich side. Get carried away while mixing

clemsonfor likes this.
  9. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

Not trying to get a best 2 stroke oil thread going on haha but what do y'all guys think about the Lucas oil? I can get it $9/qt or $36/gal. Wondered if anyone might have some better suggestions for the price point or maybe cheaper

10. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

It's fine.

94BULLITT and jfhrtn like this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Good oil many run it here. Some of the main guys, some use it that build saws aND run it. I will buy it next time I need oil. I am running Amsoil dominator now.

94BULLITT likes this.
  12. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I run 50:1 in my saws. I think the manufacturer know more about what oil ratio your saw needs than the average porter. I'm sure when saws went to 40:1 everyone was saying run 32:1. A guy on another forum tested different mix ratios and the saws ran cooler and performed better at 50:1. I'll see if I can find a link. I run gas with ethanol. I think the main benefit to e-free gas is better storage life. I don't run any stabilizers, I'm not sold on them. I used to always run Stihl oil, HP ultra. It is a little on the pricey side. I got a bottle of it, the regular Stihl in the orange bottle and Lucas semi-synthetic. In my testing I found that with the Stihl HP ultra which is synthetic, I had to lean the saw out a hair for it to tach the same RPM as it was with the Stihl conventional oil. Then I tested the Lucas and I had to lean the saw out again for it to tach the same RPM as it was with the HP ultra. The Lucas oil was the fastest, then the HP ultra, then the regular Stihl. The saws seemed to operated at the same temp with all the oils. So with the Lucas oil performing better, being cheaper, and meeting a higher spec, I made the switch to Lucas. I need to stick , my endscope down the sparkplug hole to see if the Lucas oil cleans it up.

Also I was thinking about the upper cylinder lube. I don' see a need for it in a 2 cycle. Your gas has oil in it, so the mix is an upper cylinder lube itself.

Kyle Mulligan and clemsonfor like this.
  13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The Wood Wolverine and 94BULLITT like this.
  15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It is over 400. If you read the first 5 or 10 then skip to the page linked in the first post you get test results.

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Haha way worse than I thought!! I must have stopped way into it though??

94BULLITT likes this.
  17. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Slippery slope there. Many people are very opinionated on their erl! I can tell you of one to definitely not use ;) (klotz R50).

jfhrtn and clemsonfor like this.
  18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

We're also talking fractions of seconds on this test. They all add up at the end of the day to what 15 seconds you save on leaner oil mix.

I'd like to see longevity study also on factory and ported saws running the different ratios.

jfhrtn and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  19. jfhrtn

jfhrtn

I've heard many bad things about Klotz R50 from landscapers. Kinda stuck between Lucas and Royal Purple. Any reason to stick with full synthetic versus semi synthetic. I've always run full synthetic and haven't ventured into anything in the 2 stroke world. Looking for protection over a few milliseconds speed difference. Don't have any ported saws or hot saws yet haha

clemsonfor likes this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I like syn oil for my vehicles and 2 stroke, so do many but many guys who opinion I respect and value say Lucas is a good oil. Some of these people use it in saws milling, which is about as hard a job yiu can do with a saw. Don't have carbon issues or anything. I have no worries about running the Lucas semi syn.