In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chain sharpening tutorial.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Pallet Pete, Jun 11, 2014.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Here is the RS I tried Saturday. I tried tilting the vise both ways and could not get enough hook. I guess I am going to have to tilt the head on the grinder more.

[​IMG]

concretegrazer and Moparmyway like this.
  2. Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Each grinder may be different in its settings, have to play with each one to get the cutter profile that you are looking for.

94BULLITT likes this.
  3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

30-55-10 worked good on that oregon chain. I think the shape of the cutter on Stihl RS chain is different than the oregon and I am not getting enough hook on it.

Moparmyway likes this.
  4. Moparmyway

Moparmyway

I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense that 2 different chain manufacturers could need different settings to make their cutter work good at self feeding and cutting best.

That cutter does look like it needs more hook.
    Could it be that the different chain is sitting higher/lower in the vise as well, causing the grinder to need the different angles ?

94BULLITT likes this.
  5. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

It could be the chain is sitting in the vice different. I was thinking it may be the angle of the cutter.

[​IMG]

That Oregon chain I did was on someone else's saw and I already took it back to him. I wish I had it to compare.

Moparmyway likes this.
  6. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Just an FYI..
    There will be a little gathering of folks at my place December 12th.
    Many of whom, are well versed in sharpening.
    Any of the followers of this thread are welcome to join, as there will be files, grinders, and perspective to be shared.

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

That would be cool to go too....just too far of a trip :-(

mdavlee likes this.
  8. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Too far is a subjective term.
    I've driven all the way to eastern Tennessee for some good perspective before..
    Lol....

MasterMech, mdavlee and clemsonfor like this.
  9. mdavlee

mdavlee

I should make this one. I hope to be able to any way. Have to deliver a mutt back home out there anyway.

10. Hedgerow

Hedgerow

Mutt packed and shipped today!

I set this time late so you could attend one finally! It's been a couple years since Terry's place eh?

11. Nixon

Nixon

Haven't read the entire thread . So, forgive me if this has been mentioned . Too minimize overheating your cutters ,start with a clean chain and wheel . If your wheel picks up the oil and mung off the chain ,it will not cut as well ,and it will require more pressure to cut . The chain doesn't have be spotless ,just reasonably free of oil and debris . If your wheel is black on the cutting surface ,dress it lightly to remove the oil and ground in dirt . This holds especially true on chains that are rocked ,or require heavy reshaping .

12. mdavlee

mdavlee

Yes it has been. If I can find a baby sitter I may bring the wife.

13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I was comparing the RS I ground to a new loop and it looked like they had the same hook. I got a chance today to try the ground chain in pretty dry peice of wood and it seemed like it cut well. So I guess I was wrong about it not having enough hook.

Moparmyway likes this.
  14. Machria

Machria

Ok, here is two problems I have right now. How do you solve them/what do you do about them?

Problem 1: Chain looks like it hit something at some point, most cutters are ok and sharp, but a few of the cutters are like pictured, almost straight across. Do you grind the hell out of it to get it back to the correct angle? Just sharpen those few cutters normally and leave the top straight across until you sharpen enough times to fix it (essentially grinding it back 1/8" or so...) OR???

in depth gauge_resize.JPG

side1_resize.JPG

Top bad1_resize.JPG

Problem 2: I have a chain that I love, cuts great! Don't ask me why, but for some reason this chain has always treated me good, and I can't say I have treated it good! ;) But it's starting to get real long hooks. See the picture... I've sharpened it so many times with my dremel, that it is getting rounded below the top of the cutter, and the top of the cutter is protruding forward. It is super sharp, and cuts great. But do I leave it? Do I file off the hook and then re-sharpen... What do you do with this? I'm sure a grinder would solve this problem since it comes straight down into the cutter and would grind this point off.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a grinder? Cheap but GOOD grinder links please!! :D

Hook1_resize.JPG

Moparmyway likes this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Wow that first one is rocked hard. If its just a few I would just hit with a file and leave it.

The other chain looks like your file is too small or your sharpening and way too steep an angle!!! Something is majorly wrong there and should not look like that

Moparmyway likes this.
  16. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Problem 1: just file the few rocked out ones back til they are in good shape. No need to file them all to that length.

Problem 2: Your file is too low.

17. Machria

Machria

That's what I thought on #1. I knew I didn't have to file them ALL back that far, but the question is/was do I need to file the "rocked" ones all the way back... I guess the answer is yes. ;)

#2, Yes I assume that, but how do you correct that? The file, dremel... anything I use on that particular chain seems to go deeper and deeper .... ? I've never had that problem on another chain...

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have never had a chain that looked like that when I used a round file by hand. Now I grind with a grinder so it obviously does not look like that.

If your dremel thing makes it look like that get a hand file to correct it or get someone with a grinder to whack it back true for you

Moparmyway likes this.
  19. Machria

Machria

Just that chain! None of my other chains look anything like that! Have no idea why? Maybe because that is a LP chain?

Moparmyway likes this.
  20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Your not using the same file on 3/8LP as 3/8 full size are you