In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chain breaker and spinner

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Shawn Curry, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

So here's the story. I almost ordered a set of these from Baileys, along with a 25' reel of milling chain, when I couldn't any locally in the right # of DL. I was thankfully steered away from that decision by some of the experts here, and I picked up a Granberg file-n-joint instead (awesome tool BTW) so I could re-file some chains I already had.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago - I was running my MS460 for the first time, and threw a brand new 28" chain! :headbang: I didn't realize it at the time, but the rear bar nut wasn't tightened all the way, because the threads are messed up on the stud. A couple of the drive links got bent slightly, so that chain is basically junk right now.

I also have a couple of 32" chains that I got in a trade, which seem about 1 or 2 DL short of actually being able to fit on the bar. Bar and Chains are both Stihl brand.

I figured if I can scavenge the damaged chain to lengthen the two 32" chains, then remove the damaged links, and turn it into a 25" chain, at that point these tools will have just about paid for themselves!

Baileys just put their Woodland Pro combo on sale, so I ordered one of those. And of course, it's backordered, even though the web site indicated it was in stock.:doh: So maybe this is my chance to look for better options!

Anyone here have one they want to get rid of? If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. Jon1270

Jon1270

I got a breaker and spinner along with some other stuff last year and am still having fun with it, but if you've got a good Stihl dealer nearby it would probably be more cost-effective to have them Frankenstein your busted chains for you. Before I had the tools I had my local shop shorten a chain for me, and they only charged about $2 to do it while I waited.

Eric VW, HDRock, mike bayerl and 3 others like this.
  3. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

There's only a couple places locally that I know of that will spin custom chains for me. The closer one won't do it the same day. The good one that would, is about an hour from my house.

So I've pretty much made up my mind about buying one. I currently run 3/8 .050 chisel on all my "main" saws, so the savings and convenience of being able to spin my own I think will add up over time.

So I'm really just trying to decide which one to get. Are the cheapo combo ones from Harbor Freight or Northern tool just as good as the Oregon or Carlton ones? Do they come with all the punches and anvils to do big and small chains? Anybody here have one they'd be willing to sell me?

Eric VW likes this.
  4. mdavlee

mdavlee

I bought a set from madsens. They threw in a chart that is 6' long for chain to 130 dl of 3/8" and a few other things when I ordered it. I'd much rather give Madsens the business over Baileys.

5. Jon1270

Jon1270

Why so? Enquiring minds want to know.

Eric VW and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    With that many saws & sizes & doing that much cutting;
    Good to have chain tools & a reel or two.

When you get set up ;
    Post some pics of the "How to" for making/repairing chains.
    Several of us have thought about doing it. :)

Eric VW, Boozer, HDRock and 1 other person like this.
  7. mdavlee

mdavlee

Shipping prices for one. They cut Gregg and several long time workers loose when they shut down one store location. Slow shipping and wrong stuff in the box.

8. Jon1270

Jon1270

Gregg isn't there anymore? Unimaginable.

mdavlee likes this.
  9. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

He started Left Coast Supply. Bailey's shipping costs are far in excess of actual cost, I have done little business with them since they they shut down their Jackson, TN location.

10. w8ye

w8ye

I have a Granberg spinner breaker plier set in the tool box for use in the woods and a Herr spinner & breaker (old cast iron Oregon) bench set in the shop.

They both work great. The Granberg is fine if you are only spinning up an occasional chain loop. The bench type is better if you are doing several chains at a time.

Eric VW, mdavlee and Shawn Curry like this.
  11. gulity1

gulity1

1st post- Yeah me!!

Short story long, I asked Santa for a breaker- spinner for Christmas for 2014, Well I was so good I got 2, again yeah me !! I CSS all of the wood my step mom burns ( she heats with wood, not me :() My step mom got me the Oregon breaker and spinner My wife got me the Harbor Freight one, I have not unpacked the Oregon set yet, the HF setup works for me took me a few tries/fails to get used to it I had never used a breaker or spinner- ever, learning curve. But I am happy with the HF set it does just fine for me. The breaker and spinner is all one piece, It does the job I've shortend up about 10 chains or so. The only thing I do that is different I read somewhere to grind the head off the rivet off to help with breaking the chain I've tried it both ways and it much easier ground verus not ground. but in the end it works fine for me Im a firewood hack who is just cuts wood as a hobby, no more no less.

Eric VW, Drvn4wood, DexterDay and 3 others like this.
  12. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

If anyone is seriously interested, I have breaker/spinner/etc on my workbench. They look to be older Stihl branded ones. I don't know how to use them and don't have any desire to start. Maybe we can swap for a loop or two of chain or a 24" bar in good condition.

13. fox9988

fox9988

Welcome to FHC gulity1 :thumbs:. You gotta get a stove :fire:

14. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Well I guess Baileys must have heard about this thread, cause they shipped it today... I would have taken you guys up on the offer(s?) too - dang. :( I got the woodland pro set. I ordered some redhead wedges at the same time, so they split my order and dinged me twice on shipping. And it will take at least a week from CA. Won't make that mistake again.

Welcome to the club gulity1 ! Sounds like you'll fit right in! :yes:

15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have that woodland pro set and it works great. The only complaint I had was the punches. I broke two of them and decided to make my own from a broken tap that I had. That punch has never broken on me.
    You will like being able to repair, shorten, or lengthen your own chains any time you want. To me it is just another part of working and maintaining your saws.
    Congrats on getting your set of spinner and breaker.

Eric VW, Cut4fun and Shawn Curry like this.
  16. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Hey mdavlee that is an unusual looking cylinder in you avatar.

17. mdavlee

mdavlee

288 with finger ports.

Eric VW, MasterMech and Shawn Curry like this.
  18. w8ye

w8ye

Herr Breaker - Spinner pair which were the Oregon standard for many years in the latter part of the 20th Century. The frames are cast iron. These have not been made in 15 years. You can still get punches and spinner anvils for them. The picture is posted as a reference as to what they look like.

[​IMG]

Eric VW, Cut4fun and Shawn Curry like this.
  19. gulity1

gulity1

I am a diesel mechanic, by trade. I have save a couple of u joint caps for the roller bearings inside of them to make a new punch for the breaker I saw it mentioned elsewhere - Someone turned a piece of steel to size so as to fit in the breaker where the punch sits in, then bored a hole in it and uses the roller bears as a punch, best part is one cap has like 15-20 bearing in it, unless you are doing a ton of breaking and spinning that should last you along while, decades even, Now to find someone with a lathe and no projects Hmmm???

Eric VW and Shawn Curry like this.
  20. gulity1

gulity1

Mike I found your pics on AS and kinda, sorta tried to copy your finger ports on a junk cylinder I had, It ran sort of, I never did get it fully tuned in so I pulled the cylinder off and set it on the shelf, it aint going to run long any how its missing half or better of the fins on the outside, It was my first and only attempt at porting, thanks for the inspiration anyhow.