In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Central Boiler Draft Fan

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Time's Standing Stihl, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Time's Standing Stihl

Time's Standing Stihl

I always have at least 6" of coals right by the door, then all the wood is stacked on coal bed.

There isn't much for ash probably the last 1.5'-2' . I try and keep everything to the front 2/3. Whether that's right or not?

2. JustWood

JustWood Guest

What kind of wood are you burning?
    Oak and locust will bridge up and go out.
    This is the kind of stuff we burn. Big ugly wood dump stuff ,, well dried ,,, some times beyond ideal but it's plentiful.

Attached Files:

Time's Standing Stihl likes this.
  3. Time's Standing Stihl

Time's Standing Stihl

Ash, Hickory and oak

Ronaldo likes this.
  4. Buttercup

Buttercup

I know with mine I just rake the coals and ashes forward to the door. I've got a 4030 I believe and have never had an issue with it. I know my stove doesn't like butt end of cross ties to well. Also I don't know how packed you stack your wood but I think that was the problem with mine there wasn't enough space for the air to move freely to stoke the fire up. Have you got all the pex pipes insulated. Mine has pipe insulation on them straight from the firebox to where they go underground and everything once it comes back out is insulated. That might help with some heat loss with the water. Good luck

5. Blstr88

Blstr88

Why not just get the fan? Other than spending the money on it I don't see any advantage to having a natural damper versus forced?

I don't buy you get longer burns...the fire might get more intense quicker with a fan but then you reach temp and it shuts it down sooner. I imagine burn times are equal for forced vs natural...

There seems to be advantages to a forced fan from reading this thread. I don't need to manage my coals as closely as it seems you guys do, and I've PACKED mine full of wood...no issues. No need to leave space between the wood or keep the ash at a specific level. That fan kicks on and whatever's in that box burns HOT.

Seems to me you'd only benefit from a fan, as long as you don't mind the cost.

6. Blstr88

Blstr88

Less smoke with a fan too. It billows good sometimes when fan first kicks in but a few minutes later there's zero smoke. It gets over its smoldering/smoking phase a lot quicker when you're forcing the air in.

7. nsmaple

nsmaple

A fan might get the fire going hotter quicker, but it will also push more heat out of the stack when it is running. Especially in a unit that wasn't intended originally to have one. So will cost you a bit more wood. Whether it's enough to worry about or not, would be your call. Six of one.....

8. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Just read your post sir. I also have a 6048 installed in 2006 no blower. Seemed to work fine first 3 years of operation. Than was talking to another fellow with the same unit in my area who told me he had a lot less smoke after installing the door blower so I thought what the heck I’ll put ones on. I can most definitely say my wood consumption went up after the install althouycycle times ( the amount of time the stove runs to bring water temperature back up to normal) have decreased slightly.