In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Central Boiler Cast iron Door has cracked. Need some help.

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Kevin in Ohio, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Then I'd suggest saying 15 year warranty or limited lifetime instead of leaving it open to someone believing the literal meaning. Gives a false expectation to me and before buying it was something that was a plus to me. I was told by a salesman at a trade show that it was the lifetime of use on the stove.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

I've owned central (OWB) since 93. I remember they had a 15 year warranty on them. The last one I bought, has a 25 year warranty on it. There may be something about a lifetime warranty, but even when I bought it, I wouldn't believe it.

The pics of the doors you posted show the baffle plate on the inside of the door. That is what I have on mine and yes, it does have a warp in it. I think this is year number 11 for it. The only trouble (?) I had was to replace the circ pump cartridge about a month after installing it.

Like ironpony has pointed out, that stove has been trough a lot of ups and downs temperature wise. All of this sitting out in the elements. Heck, the wood stoves on the inside of houses have doors that also crack!

The OWB we have has served us well.

Good luck with the claim; $300 over the course of 18 heating season is nothing! You're talking about less than $17 a year! Heck, more $$ worth of wood goes through that in one winter.

Keep us posted, please!

3. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Those plates do warp. My 2006 CB 6048 has 2 of them the one closer to the fire box has warped significantly the one behind it is still fine.

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Yep, the situation sucks, Kevin- I totally agree with you on all points.
    But like you’ve mentioned and others have offered similar advice... drill the hole, and either goop up the whole crack and add refractory or a heat shield.
    I’d keep the $300 bucks back for something else and snub my nose at them.
    My 2¢.

5. Heat550

Heat550

I had one in use for 19 years . Looks just like new yet . Even if out door boiler are not perfect . This door design is . Someone figured this out right. Yep it's stainless . Only draw back is changing hoses and needs new door gasket about every 5-7 years .
    Now torcher report it heated 5000 sqft + average 14 cord oak a year in them 19 years on a Heatmor 200 . In 2014 ( one of our coldest winter ) that got so hot you could hear the water exchanging in the door and hoses would shake . Picture is of my replacement stove in 2015 . Heatmor 400 . Yes coming up on 24 years of having a outdoor boiler. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

6. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

For those of you with the new style door with baffle: What is the thickness of it?

yooperdave, Screwloose and Eric VW like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'll measure and let you know.

Kevin in Ohio and Eric VW like this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I’ll wager 11 gauge.

Kevin in Ohio and yooperdave like this.
  9. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Thank you.

yooperdave likes this.
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Well...……..

You win! Sorta. There are two plates of 1/8 back to back. That is, measured with a tape measure.....and the use of a pen light led flash light.....and no glasses on!

My guess is that with the two plates, the warping is less pronounced or more controlled sort of thing???

Kevin in Ohio likes this.
  11. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Interesting. I would not have guessed that one. Are the 2 thinner plates attached to each other or able to be taken off independantly?

yooperdave likes this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

I have never removed them. Tomorrow (daylight) I'll see if they are secured to each other or just butted up against one another. But, there is no gap between the two.

Looks like they are attached to the door with "spacer pins" of some sort.

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

If I know anything, Kevin in Ohio will end up building the mother of all CB doors 'til this is all over...;) :D :thumbs:

Stlshrk, Felter and Kevin in Ohio like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

15. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Honestly I don't know why they don't have a layer of thermal insulation sandwiched between the door and the plate. Seems that would keep more of the heat from being wasted out the door and save the door at the same time.....HMMMMmmm...

Felter and brenndatomu like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That's how my Kuuma furnace door is made...steel outside/main frame of the door...has like an inch of ceramic fiber insulation inside, then a plate of stainless to sandwich the insulation...then inside of that there is another piece of thin (22 ga?) stainless mounted an inch or so away ...and that inner plate is air cooled via a 5/8" hole clear through the door...and there is a little deflector plate right inside the hole that spreads the air around rather than it just cooling the center of the inner panel.
    If any of that makes sense...

17. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

May have to get with a friend who scraps and hauls cars all the time. I know they use insulating mats where catalytic converters are under vehicle floors. Used to be made out of the A word.

Felter and brenndatomu like this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You can buy ceramic insulation blanket, or board, on ebay, amazon, local refractory supply houses, kiln supply house, etc.
    Its not that expensive either...and it will take 2300-2500* or more, depending on what you buy...

Felter and Kevin in Ohio like this.
  19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Ceramic fiber board is what many EPA stoves use for the baffle board in the top of the firebox...doesn't get much hotter than that!

20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu