In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

cast iron fry pan myths

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by savemoney, Nov 8, 2014.

1. woody5506

woody5506

I made an oak board mount out of a pallet from work for my pans over winter which still has an open spot for one last skillet. It has a #10, #8, #6, and two #3's. I'm not sure what to fill that last space with, maybe a Griswold slant logo #5 or 7 if I can find one. Now that garage sale season is ramping up I will be keeping an eye out.

milleo, NortheastAl and WeldrDave like this.
  2. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

My first cast iron resto. Sorry did not take a before pic. It had at least 1/16 inch of build up and rust. I did not get it as clean as I thought as you can see after the first seasoning. I think with a couple more seasonings it might even out a little bit.
    DSCN6285.JPG DSCN6286.JPG

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Very nice skillet, Mark!:yes:
    This is how CAD starts... Cast Acquisition disorder...:whistle:
    [insert Tim Allen grunt...]:dex:

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks like a 1935-1959
    smooth bottom
    Stylized Logo 4 digit Number 8

ChipsFlyin and NortheastAl like this.
  5. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

2nd seasoning and light wipe over while it was still maybe 250-300 degrees. Looks much better now. It's funny how the pics bring out all the imperfections in the surface but can't feel anything except super smooth. This might be unorthodox but during the final cleaning I hit it with 2000 grit and soap. I think it might just be ready to go.

DSCN6287.JPG

6. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I wouldn't worry about sanding it, cast iron just keeps getting better and better as you use it.

After cooking and while the skillet is still hot, just give it a rinse with a couple ounces of hot water and use a plastic scraper if necessary. Then rinse and back on the warm stove to dry.
    ( I quite often do the cleaning before I sit down to eat as the pan is still hot and cleans easier.)

(If you cook burgers or something that gets a little crusty, just put a couple ounces of water in the pan and let it simmer a bit, then rinse, scrape and rinse.) Then back on the stove for a few minutes to dry and a spritz of Pam while its hot. Give it a quick wipe to spread the oil and remove the excess. Let it cool

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

Tim, The CAD itch started a while back. Only a little bit on a couple pieces. Actually gave one to a family member. Since I stripped and seasoned one I might be in trouble! :eek: Now I have to refresh this one!
    DSCN6289.JPG DSCN6288.JPG

WeldrDave, fishingpol, milleo and 2 others like this.
  8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Little vinegar dip should clean that one up. :yes:

NortheastAl and ChipsFlyin like this.
  9. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

I light sanded it because I had no steel wool. That was when I was washing it off before drying out and seasoning. The rust was pretty heavy. I would not sand or mega scrape it after seasoning.

NortheastAl and TurboDiesel like this.
  10. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

Griddle all cleaned , heated, oiled wiped off and ready for it's first session in the oven this evening. I got impatient and only had a short time before work so ended up using Bar Keepers Friend cleanser to cut the surface rust instead of vinegar. The oxalic acid ( fun fact - same acid in rhubarb ) dose a nice job on rust. I used to use it on rocks and minerals that had rust stains.

milleo, TurboDiesel and NortheastAl like this.
  11. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

Went old school for the skillet test. Some stickage but deglazed and cleaned up easy with water.

DSCN6290.JPG DSCN6291.JPG

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

13. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

One skillet meal. Sauteed chicken breast with a fresh chive cream sauce over angle hair pasta.

Seasoned chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Browned real good, sliced up and put aside. Removed most of the oil. Couple tablespoons of flower in and browned. Deglazed with a couple cups of chicken broth. Fresh chives added. Simmered while stirring until thickened. Couple heaping spoonfuls of sour cream added right the end and stirred in. Added back chicken and voila. It looks like a lot of chives but they are very mild.

DSCN6301.JPG DSCN6303.JPG

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks awesome, Mark !
    As usual. :handshake:

15. woody5506

woody5506

Stumbled across a Griswold #5 large logo at an antique shop Saturday. Given the condition and slight wobble I wasn't about to pay the $40 price tag. Really didn't care to try and negotiate either. She did have another interesting piece, a #8 chrome Griswold skillet in pretty good shape. Does anyone know about these "chrome" skillets? I didn't have any desire to buy it but I'd never seen one and thought it was interesting.

16. yooperdave

yooperdave

Getting ready for a garage sale here. 99 lbs says to me "Get rid of those cast iron pans you have hanging in the basement, too"

Out of four of them, one is a griswold #8!
    The other three are just some generic "ring one the bottom of the pan" three piece pan set things...without any markings

ChipsFlyin, NortheastAl and BigPapi like this.
  17. BigPapi

BigPapi

Well if you're going to listen to her advice, get rid of them this way! I'll even cover freight. ;)

ChipsFlyin, TurboDiesel, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  18. yooperdave

yooperdave

The Girswold is a keeper.

I don't think the other 3 are worth anything.....just some generic pan set that was at a hunting camp; even those guys didn't want them!

19. woody5506

woody5506

Those are the ones you can beat up and abuse and not feel bad about.

20. J. Dirt

J. Dirt

Snagged two lodge pans today a 12” and an 8” for $30 ! 7E3586FD-CDBF-4D28-8D8D-B9995D4328CB.jpeg CCFEE49B-B2F2-4D2B-A1AF-659B540DBFEF.jpeg