In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Canning thread

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by hovlandhomestead, Apr 6, 2020.

1. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Sorry for the late reply. As Sirchopsalot posted, 'canning' may be a misnomer as like him, I just use canning (mason) jars to store the rendered bear fat but there is no actual 'canning' process (water bath or pressure) when preparing it.

Getting antsy for this coming hunting season. Just ordered a new commercial-grade meat grinder so I'm hoping to get at least something. I usually process wild game myself but had a butcher do it last fall. They do a good job however I prefer to do it myself. Been using an antique hand grinder for decades but getting too old for that now so updating my processing with the electric grinder.

LCBug, Chvymn99, Sirchopsalot and 3 others like this.
  2. lukem

lukem

Blackberry jam.

PXL_20220718_235926146.MP.jpg

3. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

How awesome!
    Better than Jelly imho.
    Thats a good way to put away energy!

Spiced tomato jam is a favorite here. Sounds weird, but boy is it good!

Sca

4. LCBug

LCBug

Oh man, couldn't stop myself from checking this out and sure am glad I did. Most of you people are pretty experienced and those newer are really wanting to do it right. So glad to see!

As a lifelong food preserver and 20 yr master food preserver I can answer a lot of questions. Start with this website, it's the gold standard for canning, freezing, etc.
    National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications

Most states have their preserving publications online and free to download.

I'll be back...

5. LCBug

LCBug

Break time, pig pen is almost ready. If I come across wrong chalk it up to not being much for chitchat.

I use reusable canning lids and been for more than 10 years. No affiliation to the company.
    Tattler Reusable Canning Lids
    There's a bit of a learning curve but they saved my butt the last couple years. Tattler lids have been around since the 70's I believe. They also now make disposable metal lids but there's no reason for me to try them. I'd love to hear if someone does.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  6. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

I picked up the other brand of reuseables, but have not tried them yet. I wont test them on meat canning, but preserves etc first.
    The disposable ones have shown up again, so I've kept a good collection over the last few years, topped off.
    Sca

LCBug, Chazsbetterhalf and Eckie like this.
  7. lukem

lukem

I made 16 quarts of salsa today.
    #16 is in the fridge.

PXL_20220806_190558178.MP.jpg

8. LCBug

LCBug

I find bear lard better than pig lard, less smell and it's much whiter. Mine gets rendered then put in canning jars and into the spare fridge or freezer. My aunt swore it made better pie crusts than pig lard.

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Just made 2 small jars of Jalapeños Cream Sauce….

685FEF31-819E-4C85-8CA6-2AA933CD06C9.jpeg

10. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I never heard of these re-usable canning lids. What a great idea. I have some of my grandmother's jars that have glass lids with rubber gaskets and wire fasteners. I have only used them for regular food storage. I have never actually used them in the canning process as I was worried about the age of the jars.

11. LCBug

LCBug

The old jars might not stand up to heat especially in a pressure canner. I stick with newer jars for processing. The oldest ones that have zinc or glass lids and have turned blue or pink go on top of my cupboards. There are a bunch of blue half gallon jars full of dried beans, etc. in the food storage rotation. They only seem to be small mouth which is really fun washing... The reusable canning lids have separate gaskets which can be bought by the dozen. There's a company out there, maybe French, that sells brand new canning jars with bails and gaskets. Sure would love to have some of those.

12. LCBug

LCBug

Recipe please.... or at least directions if it's not processed. Pretty please?

Chazsbetterhalf, Eckie and Chvymn99 like this.
  13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Its really simple... I did follow the instruction straight on. But my Japs got done way earlier than he mentions... I think it was like 8 or 9 minutes into the boil. I also used Avocado oil...

14. LCBug

LCBug

Thanks much sir! My daughter and her husband will love it provided I can cadge some jalapenos off someone. No peppers this year since last year was a bumper crop. Yup, can see them chowing down now.

15. lukem

lukem

Pasta sauce on the right and juice on the left.

PXL_20220810_204637174.MP.jpg

16. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Wow that was a lot of doing!
    Looks good.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  17. lukem

lukem

18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    lukem it will be nice to see all those jars lined up in the storage area. winter sunshine.

19. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Salsa … the 7 on the left has 6 Jalapeños & 2 Habanero’s my first batch… didn’t think it was warm enough. So I stepped up my game with 6 jalapeños & 5 Habanero’s on the second batch. Just the right amount of heat.. Warm but not overly hot…

D59F3B20-2F96-4B82-8EC8-ED35827DB781.jpeg

20. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

4B9461FF-3EFD-4855-8FD4-A3B6AC93E2E9.jpeg
    So far this water bath canning season I have made twelve 1/2 pints of black raspberry jam, sixteen pints of strawberry/rhubarb jam, seven 1/2 pints of strawberry/rhubarb jam, four pints of mixed garden relish, five quarts of mixed garden relish, six pints of dill beans, and yesterday I put up of the first seven quarts of tomato pasta sauce of the summer.

Still to come: at least 50 more quarts of pasta sauce, 12 quarts of pickled beats, 12 quarts of dill cucumber pickles, and at least 12 1/2 pints of habanero jam.

If I had more time I would probably pressure can some of my carrots and potatoes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022