Canning 2021

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Greenstick, May 28, 2021.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    The season has started. 15 jars of 1/2 pints of rhubarb jam, 4 pints and 4 quarts of strawberry rhubarb moonshine. A good start to the season all done in one evening. 20210527_225442.jpg

2. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

That looks great Greenstick .

Are you able to find any lids for sale out there?

3. Greenstick

Greenstick

Luckily the moonshine is not sealed so we get away with saving last year's lids and washing them well and re using them. As for real canning that needs sealed, I always have extra because my wife says I'm a hoarder-she isn't complaining this year-however things were tough last year for finding lids and I usually kept just over a year ahead on lids. This year I have lids to get me to the half way point and then I will be out. Looking around here there are no lids, but there are cases of jars available so we may be buying cases of jars just for the lids that come with them.

4. Greenstick

Greenstick

Luckily the moonshine is not sealed so we get away with saving last year's lids and washing them well and re using them. As for real canning that needs sealed, I always have extra because my wife says I'm a hoarder-she isn't complaining this year-however things were tough last year for finding lids and I usually kept just over a year ahead on lids. This year I have lids to get me to the half way point and then I will be out. Looking around here there are no lids, but there are cases of jars available so we may be buying cases of jars just for the lids that come with them.

wildwest likes this.
  5. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Check out reusable lids?
    Not as cheap but they could go on jars that'll be emptied sooner than later till you have a critical mass on hand.

Good idea putting up a year's supply in advance. Not sure if there any around here yet.

Sca

6. Biddleman

Biddleman

Looking to get a pressure cooker to can venison. Anyone have recommendation that wont totally break the bank?

eatonpcat likes this.
  7. Greenstick

Greenstick

I scored a couple at rummage sales, paid $10 for one and $25 for the other witch looked about new. I replaced the gaskets and our county extension office offers free pressure testing. Both tested good and I was off to the races.

eatonpcat and Biddleman like this.