In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Camper newbies

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by T.Jeff Veal, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

We prefer KoA as well. So far every one has been a pleasant experience.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  2. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

The power adapters I was referring to.

IMG_1693.jpeg

3. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

farmer steve and brenndatomu like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

This is the area where we will park the camper. 20231228_101329.jpg
    Got the 50amp service set up...
    Got to trim some limbs and figure out the driveway...
    20231228_101426.jpg
    Also made some 12"x16" Jack pads... 20231228_101413.jpg

Moparguy, Marvin, SimonHS and 7 others like this.
  5. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Runnings

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We use this type of chocks as well. It works really great. We only use them on one side of the trailer.
    I will have to look into the Electric Jack cover. What a great idea.

JD Guy is right about not leaving it too late to find a spot. We are early risers so we get most of our traveling done in the morning and find a spot in the early afternoon. Then you can go exploring, grocery shopping or laundry without hauling the trailer with you.

8. farmer steve

farmer steve

Off the top of my head what I felt I needed. Fuses, a good jack that will work on the camper, 4-way, tools, check what kind of screws are used in the camper. Torx, Philips or square drive. Check the anode rod in the hot waterheater. Spare bulbs for stop/turn signals. My camper place gave me an extra hand crank for the jack's which I cut to length for my cordless drill. I think FarmerJ covered it pretty good in his post's. Nice camper Jeff.

9. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Our Casita camper had the two sets of chocks / levelers with it. We only use them on the low side as well. The other side gets an anti theft locking chock that licks through the wheel and the other red wedge. We liked the Anderson product enough we purchased 4 pads for the corner jacks and a magnetic base for the electric jack.

10. JD Guy

JD Guy

Another thought…When traveling and spending only one night at a time enroute to our destination we will almost never unhook camper from tow vehicle provided the site is fairly level. Just makes it so much easier to get on the road the next morning.

Corp of Engineers (COE) campgrounds are almost always nice and reasonably priced. We use them a lot. If you are 65, think that’s right, you can get senior discount on camp fees. Also there’s a National Parks pass that there is a cost for but you enjoy discounts at those too.

Happy Camping T.Jeff Veal !

11. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I'll look into the COE. Thank you. We do the same if we can with not unhooking if just overnight.

12. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

These are the pads I was referring to for under your step legs.

just normal traffic will drive them into the ground without pads. Especially in sandy or wet environments.

I made some out of plywood…

but like these better because you can rinse them off and not worry about them being wet.

IMG_1704.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    Marvin, JD Guy, farmer steve and 7 others like this.
  13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Great ideas, ya'll. I'll have to make a list...lol. Thanks, keep'em coming.

We got insurance on it yesterday, planning to bring it home next weekend and get familiar with it.

We ordered a shed for it and the truck yesterday, 26x40x14. Got to do a little site prep first.

14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I definitely agree with the campout at home recommendations before you travel. We did it a few times. Hooked up, parked and leveled it in front of the garage and lived in it for the weekend like at a campground. It definitely will highlight things you might not have thought of and show you things you thought you needed but really dont. With that little red camper you saw me with at Denny's GTG, it rained during one of trial campouts and we stayed out there. Me cooking breakfast under a pop up awning trying to stay warm and dry. Washing the dishes outside ect. Thankfully those situations are over with having the Casita. Lol

15. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Here’s a few of my observations about campers.
    1) every component on them is the absolute minimum required to do the job, especially the suspension.
    2) there is always something on them that needs fixing or repairs
    3) they are best suited for people who have the time, skills and tools to tinker with them. ( see #2)
    4) it’s a wonder that they don’t all disintegrate as soon as you hit 6mph.
    5) the idea of owning and using one is far more romantic than actually owning and using one

16. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Not all campers fit into your above description but unfortunately, most do. Its the reason we bought the casita, a full molded fiberglass hull type camper. Obviously all campers need some maintenance, like all houses do, but some camper designs need way way less.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

6 mph :rofl: :lol:
    Not too far off though...of you ever seen one crashed on the highway, they pretty much toothpicks and bubblegum!

18. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

A good friend of ours brother bought a new camper trailer and was trading in his used one. The dealer offered him a price based on pictures alone. It looked fine but he was unaware it had been leaking inside the walls. No visible water damage supposedly. Anyway, as luck would have it, or lack there of, it actually did blow apart on the highway on the way to the dealer to pick up the new camper. Not a little bit either. Like mostly a frame still attached to the truck and the lanes littered with camper debris.

19. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

This is the construction of one of the campers we were considering and probably would have purchased if the used Casita hadn't come along. Made in Canada. Helio is the brand.
    Like our Casita, no wood in the ceiling or walls and the floors are wood encapsulated fiberglass. The walls and ceilings are fiberglass with insulation sandwiched inside. Neat little campers.

Helio-O2-wall-30.jpg Helio-O2-floor-31.jpg

20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

My phone did an “update” awhile back and now it’s constantly messing up my typing. I usually proof read everything pretty well, then hit the send button and it’s different.